News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rose 302 (cracked housing)

Started by FABphones, January 25, 2023, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Quote from: RDPipes on January 26, 2023, 05:49:46 AM...Here's an idea, "Don't buy phones with Cracks"...

Absolutely.

But unfortunately, as time goes by more and more phones and other historical pieces become damaged or lost forever. We need our restauration processes to be documented, perfected, passed on and built upon.
In all fields, not just telephony.

:(
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on January 26, 2023, 05:49:46 AMYou all must have much more disposable cash then I have to purchase vacuum chambers, pumps, etc. just to repair a crack?

It's not for everyone.

The use of this equipment to help nicely repair a crack is secondary to the first intention, the casting of parts such as kleenax does to produce clear and colored 302s and other models.

Crack repair is very similar to casting a complete housing or handset in that micro air bubbles must be removed before the plastic sets.

The equipment is not cheap, or that expensive if one is truly interested in that aspect of the hobby (about the same as a good buffer, paint booth or light box set up) and enjoys being creative in making or fixing plastic/resin stuff.

The forum exists to share "how to" or "how it's done" information in case there is someone out there who wants to learn more a technique or procedure to expand their knowledge base and I encourage anyone with the interest and the means to do so.

It's not for everyone but it's great to find out how it's done, and what it costs to do it, if one is interested in that part of the hobby.

A casting example:

RDPipes

Yes sir, kleenax does some fine casting work and having that equipment to cast is imperative and will serve many uses but, to purchase it to just to repair cracks is just waaaay out of my pocket books reach. And I understand recording the preserving techniques of the disappearing items of history , heck I still haven't thrown that busted ivory 302 shell away, just can't bring myself to it, LOL! Its just knowing when it should be done and when it will cost more then its worth. I won't put a $100 of labor into a $5 item no matter how old it is. I feel it best it stay as is as many museums do for probably some of the same reasons.
But, yes I do understand all the view points.     

Contempra

Well , the video is only for information, but which proves that it is also possible for a phone with a 3D printer

HowardPgh

In my opinion only, if I had bought that phone, I would leave it as is.  I would say I got a nice color phone at a reasonable price(for a color set) and leave it at that and hope to get a better one in the future.
Howard

JubileeCompact

My other half won this...Sadly both cords are in need of replacement but for the price I guess we can't complain. After a bit of polish and superglue this is how it looks currently..
Seamus
Seamus

Doug Rose

Quote from: JubileeCompact on February 03, 2023, 10:22:59 AMMy other half won this...Sadly both cords are in need of replacement but for the price I guess we can't complain. After a bit of polish and superglue this is how it looks currently..
Seamus
Seamus....looks great. You got a deal!...Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Seamus, you did well - looks very nice.

Contempra

It's well done as work , and a beautiful color , although I have never seen this color .

countryman

I'm glad how well the crack repair turned out! The cord that is visible does not look all that bad, maybe with some more tlc  ;)
A proper replacement would not be an easy find I guess.

JubileeCompact

It's been joined by a Green from the same seller ...this one was quite a bit more though...£168 so roughly $200. Its pretty minty though  :).
I did the conversion the wrong way at first...oops
Seamus

HarrySmith

NICE! That is still a great price, especially on that side of the pond.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"