News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Looking for Info on a Woodie with a Coin Collector

Started by Doug Rose, March 01, 2023, 01:12:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have seen these in the past, but the Coin Collector looks just too NEW to be real. It has a repro MP.

N4T7F on inside of door. Date maybe 2/48 too hard to read.

Any insight on this?....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

coin collector is old with new instruction s

rdelius

Northern Electric set and it could be 1948

Doug Rose

Robby...is there a chance that this the real deal and not just a put together coin collector on a Woodie? I have zero knowledge on how they would work...Doug
Kidphone

Payphone installer

Number 11 gray with a repro card and a transmitter stuck on the front. Early collector as it has a smooth drawer.

Doug Rose

Thanks Jim.....Way out of my league here.

Cost as much to send it to me than to buy it. I was amazed it got sent after three days waiting, figured for sure someone would offer more.

Should have it Saturday...fingers crossed.....Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

I suspect it was added to the wooden telephone later because of the reproduction parts and the reproduction wooden shelf on the telephone. Not sure if older canadian coins would work or not.

Doug Rose

I finally received the payphone today, it was lost for four days.

Bad news...it was packed horribly just sliding back and forth in the light box with styrofoam which became little dots and cut up boxes NO heavy duty bubble.

Hookswitch bent, broken receiver cap, bent transmitter extender, shelf ripped off the phone and shredded thankfully underneath back, worst was the key was bent and it does not move.

Good news is after a repair of the shelf, bending the hookswitch back, carefully  :o  and a coat of Howards Dark Walnut it looks presentable.

I need to get a better transmitter extender, cup and faceplate. I have a really nice old receiver cord green/purple and a nice receiver and mouth piece that is for another day.

This is my only Coin Collector and I am happy with it.

Honestly...it could have been a lot worse. I forgot how heavy a woodie is, let alone the metal Gray...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Few of shots of the inside, there was some work done to get this to work. Mag is not from this woodie and has a 1/2 lift.

Taking shape....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Doug,
Very interesting topic.
I was looking in my 1930 WE Graybar Supplies catalog and found this page showing their 3 Slot payphones. It says you could order the specific transmitter arm you want to be drilled and attached on the #7. My 1926 catalog also shows the same setup.

I've also provided a video photo of another one shown in The Ford Museum, with the transmitter attached to a different model payphone. The full video can be found in the TCI library.

Ken

Doug Rose

Thanks for all the info Ken, I do appreciate it. Most of the damage has been corrected.

The key is moving about a quarter turn. It is slow going as I do not want too break it. I can get the drawer on and off without locking it

I had a few long arms that I am having trouble finding as I need the bolt to secure this one. Just has a thin screw and nut and does not tighten up.

This is one heavy phone with the Gray Number 11 on it. Fortunately the wood and the Gray survived and it displays well.

Someone put a lot of work into this!

It does work, I get dial tone. It does not ring on incoming, so that is my next trouble to tackle. crank works. I am guessing there was some "modernizing"

I have no idea how these coin collectors worked. There was .30 in it. Coins were new.

That't All for now....Doug
Kidphone

Witty

Ken

Doug Rose

This where I am at until a few parts are found.

I need a Bakelite receiver as the one on it was plastic and the Bakelite cap was broken  :'(

I need a bolt to secure the long arm. I have a few saved somewhere  :(

The extender arm is not a WE as the screw alignment to put WE transmitter on is off. I can either leave it or put on a WE Bulldog. I do not want to do any modifications or drilling on the Gray.

I think I am going to have to live with the key as I am afraid of breaking it. I have oiled the lock.....a lot. Way too much.  Keys was vertical in the sellers pic, it is now horizontal. It must have take a good hit :-\ 

Still, for all the damage it received, it doesn't look to bad at all in my eyes.

Thanks to Ken for Catalog pics.

Now where to hang it!!!...Doug
Kidphone

rdelius

Not a WE telephone it is a NE  so the transmitter would not be marked

Doug Rose

Kidphone