News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is your Oldest Phone?

Started by Doug Rose, March 25, 2023, 08:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This beauty rests in our Kitchen. It is a WE with a Patent Date of May 31 04 on the Nickeled Mag.

This is all original as found in a Antique Store very early in my collecting. At the time, I just wiped it down with Pledge to get the dust of. No restoration of the Wood or the Nickel.

It is a WE with a SH Couch Boston System Tester label inside, tying it to Boston!! The sticker used to have 1898 written on it, but over time the ink has now disappeared. But the Mag is 04?

Ether way ....this is an oldie.

Looking at the pics, it is time he gets a through cleaning!!  8) ..Doug
Kidphone

Contempra

Just a cleaning ? Then it is well preserved for its age. Really.

dsk

My oldest phone is from 1895

But even when it is working Iprefer to use a similar from 96, becuse it looks slightly better. That makes it possible to ring from our kitchen to the mancave 8)  or back.  My oldest rotary phone in use (connected to the voip line via a lot of things) is my German one.

FABphones

And here is my Eiffel Tower/Skeletal phone.

Thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24366

So dsk has the oldest phone so far (1895). 
Can anyone beat that?

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

Wow!  That is nice!  Do you have it working?

Mike

dsk

Sorry for the late answer, It is working, pretty weak transmitter at 3V.
Since this not is the best looking and best working phone, I use a newer one. Still not the best working, but nicer look it is a similar one from 1896 ;D  So I guess I just should sell this one.???
More pictures of this phone here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27153.msg261958#msg261958

MMikeJBenN27

I now have an A1.  I would like to sell it, but it has a newer handset, which detracts from it's value.  The 4H dial is also newer, but I have been told that many A1s were originally manual, so the dials are often later than the phone's date.

Mike

RDPipes

I'm afraid this is the oldest phone I have  right now, dates probably from the early 1900's but were originally invented by Amos E. Dolbear in 1854.
Oh, and I just recently acquired an early multi-line one and both were made by WT (Western Tincan).