News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerbrett741

I need to look into getting a metal lathe and a small milling machine in the future so I can do my own repairs on these lighters. Most of the ones that can be found cheaply are missing the wand, and they need the spark wheel sharpened or replaced.

dsk

Hmmmm
Actually I don't like to admit I'm collecting stuff, but it tends to come in a lot of phones, and liquid fuel camp stoves Grin

It's not the collection who is the important thing, it is the fettling, using and understanding of such great art.

Now the rotary has became modern, and I may use it over internet as a Cnet member. I'm just waiting for the magnetos to be modern again Grin

So yes, I'm probably a collector.

dsk

m1898

Just some more of the stuff I collect. Top photo is my telegraph keys. Second is a key/sounder set. The last one is a WW2 military field telephone set with manual (I have two sets with their canvas/leather carry case).
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

m1898

To answer the original question, I will list what else I collect. I will not bore you with photos of most, unless someone wants them. My list is as follows:
  Railroad kerosene lanterns
  Railroad manuals and other items
  Kerosene (oil) lamps. Some I use
   Dietz kerosene lanterns
   Old computers. I have a TRS 80 and Kaypro CPM, Kaypro XT. Both Kaypros are listed as "portable". I
   also have an IBM XT. There are a few more older ones too.
   Old CB radios, both base and mobile.
   I have a couple of old tube AM radios. One is a cabinet radio made by the Fried corp (or Freid. I'm not
   sure how it is spelled and the radio is in storage).
   Ford Rangers. We have three, 91, 93 and 99.
   Guns
   Military uniforms and equipment

ADD: Doug's post about the EXIT sign reminded me, I also collect porcelain light fixtures and old electrical       
    switch and plug wallplates.

I am sure I forgot something. It's nice to have two houses.    Jim
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

bingster

Speaking of railroad kerosene lanterns, I have an Adlake non-sweating lamp with the four fresnel lenses (green and red) and a kerosene burner inside.  Big, heavy lump, it is.  Some of these that I see have big reflector plates around each lens, and others have two, while still others have none (like mine).  Are they all supposed to have those big reflectors and mine are missing, or were some used without the reflectors?
= DARRIN =

m1898

Sounds like a switch lantern. I am not sure about the reflectors. There are sites that might be of some help. There is Railrodiana Online for one. I know there are others, as I have been on them. Sorry I couldn't be more help.      Jim

bakerbrett741

Ronson Touch-Tip lighter and cigarette box set. I just cut a deal for this set.

McHeath

m1898 that's a cool lantern collection!  I have only a couple of such lanterns, one of which my dad and I caught while fishing many years ago.  Dad thought he had a big ol' fightin' Bass fish, his line was bent over and he was having to work it hard to land it in our little boat.  We had a good laugh when it broke the surface and was an almost new Coleman lantern.  Probably had not been in the lake for more than a few days at most, and it still works.

m1898

Thank you McHeath. Lanterns, like old telephones, seem to multiply. I also have over a dozen kerosene railroad lanterns and well over 40 kerosens (oil) lamps, including the one that belonged to my grandma. Yes, I am originally from Michigan ; )          Jim

sebbel

I'm not sure what I collect... :) Just stuff i find interesting I suppose. It varies a lot in my case but the trend seems to focus on phone/vintage electrical things and vintage games/toys. 

PS: about the lanterns. No one would happen to have an extra pump for the 2 lamps I have (see pictures) they always go for more than I care to pay for on ebay. :)
Seb.

canuckphoneguy

I also collect old pop and beer bottles. Have them down in my workshop too, above my growing phone collection  ::)

LarryInMichigan

I collect electric clocks (mostly Telechron and Hammond), tube radios, fans, and Murano glass.

Larry

MyDodgeDip

I collect way too many things...  Arcade Games, Typewriters, Furniture, Glass Pitchers, anything Mid Century Modern.  Basically anything old.  The worst collection is the cars though, they take up too much room  :D

The current fleet is: 1978 Chrysler LeBaron Coupe, 1986 Dodge Aries Coupe, 1986 Dodge 600 Convertible, 1986 Plymouth Reliant Wagon, 1987 Chrysler LeBaron Sedan, 1991 Chrysler Imperial and a 1993 Chrysler Imperial. (And I'm looking at another car right now...  ;D )

The 1978 LeBaron is my favorite, I'm installing the head from a late 70's era car phone setup tomorrow.  :D

The Convertible is runner up for most fun.

Dennis Markham

Are those curb feelers on that LeBaron or just something on the ground in front of the front tire?

JorgeAmely

They look like curb feelers (a.k.a cat whiskers)  from here. Of course, still available at your Amazon store.

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-70203-Curb-Feelers/dp/B001DQCDAA

Can you imagine the size of these for a Hummer?  ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D
Jorge