"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Not so “RARE” phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay

Started by Phonesrfun, March 17, 2011, 01:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 23, 2013, 05:38:03 PM
It would certainly be advisable for the buyer to return the phone.  If the phone clearly shows a date of 1971 on the bottom, they would have a good claim that the item was not as advertised.  If the bidder is reading this, I would suggest retracting the bid.

I don't think there is any reason here to believe that the seller is trying to mislead.  Few people know anything about these things.

Larry, I agree that maybe the seller didn't know any better---except for the fact that they were told by at least one person that their description was wrong. But, after all, they were "officially advised" and the "hearing column" is Bakelite!
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Quote from: TelePlay on June 23, 2013, 06:43:42 PM
Didn't know for sure about this until I read the last line of the seller's description, and noticed the Phillips head screws on both sides of the dial "branch."

Listed as "VERY RARE Antique Brass Art Nouveau Hollywood Style Ornate Telephone early 1900" at a BIN price of $750.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171064506746

Seller says: "Very Rare Antique Brass Art Nouveau 'Hollywood Style' Ornate Telephone, early 1900's. This is a really large stunning model. Made of solid brass stealth, beautiful ornate decorated. The jug dial is perfectly finished with a very nice picture. Marked with Toshiba."

I received a cordial email from the seller, who has since opened the phone and found a 1961 date.  The listing has been changed accordingly.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Seller says: "Western Electric 302 phone made in Holland." Real or fake?

Seller description: "This a Antique Art Deco Western Electric 302 model Phone in great condition the dail piece is broken off from 9,8,0, as u see in the picture but still works. You are buying as is."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261235919406

Broken finger wheel and still in great condition? Opening bid asked is $25 plus $32.75 shipping.

TelePlay

On a good request, I just merged the "Not So RARE phones as found on eBay" thread with the "Fake items on e-Bay and other such fakery" thread and combined the headings into the now "Not so "RARE" phones, phony items and other such fakery on eBay" thread.

TelePlay

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 23, 2013, 02:33:57 PM
I feel bad for whoever bid $136.99 for an item worth at most $30.  Don't let this happen to you!

Well, as expected, it ended with one bid from one bidder, who bought that stick for $136.99. An expensive lesson.

Babybearjs

Bill, I hear and understand! some of the stuff on ebay is really misleading. but, here is some you might know about.... enclosed is a picture of a NE 302 with a F3 handset... could you help to I.D. it for me. I've never seen anything like this...  what was it originally used for?   I just won the item for $9.99 and am excited to see whats inside.....  John
John

WesternElectricBen

If its like mine, and you read my post under yours on the June 2013 find of the month that might help.

Ben

WEBellSystemChristian

I laughed at this eBay listing for a 'Rare' 1947 Western Electric 500. The seller even says he/she knows that the 500 was first built in 1949, and this one was built in '47 :-\

. . . /itm/Quite-Rare-Vintage-1947-Western-Electric-500-Rotary-Phone-Braided-Cord-GC-NR-/330988148707

Edit - shortened URL to http://www.ebay.com/itm/330988148707

Plus, it's obviously a 5302.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 13, 2013, 02:58:07 PM

Kinda a 5302... Visually apparent are the Extensicord, AE handset, and lack of a volume adjusting lever, protruding through the baseplate...I have seen examples minus the volume lever, but never before the AE parts...Fascinating...

Most likely refurbished in the field, or by an independent telco refurb center, would be my guess.

It seems to me to be of northern American ancestry, if I may venture a guess....

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Quote from: Mr. Bones on August 13, 2013, 05:18:02 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on August 13, 2013, 02:58:07 PM

Kinda a 5302... Visually apparent are the Extensicord, AE handset, and lack of a volume adjusting lever, protruding through the baseplate...I have seen examples minus the volume lever, but never before the AE parts...Fascinating...

Most likely refurbished in the field, or by an independent telco refurb center, would be my guess.

It seems to me to be of northern American ancestry, if I may venture a guess....

Best regards!

Probably converted from a 302 to a 5302 by a refurbisher: note that there are no Bell System markings and no triangular replacement feet. However, no refurbisher would have connected the handset to L1, R and K. Verdict: Frankenphone--AE handset and extensicord added by a dealer.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

baldopeacock

Well, the AE Extensicord looks pretty good, if you need one.

Russ Kirk

Quote from: baldopeacock on August 13, 2013, 08:08:11 PM
Well, the AE Extensicord looks pretty good, if you need one.

Yes,  I agree, the item may be good for parts,  if you can get it cheap.. the auction is starting out at $20
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AE40FAN

I would buy it for that price just for the extensicord alone.  Just not sure if it had been cut or altered somewhere to fit that phone....

wds

I'm in on the cord also.  Shall we draw straws to see who is going to bid so we don't all end up bidding against each other?
Dave