News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Thrift Store AE80

Started by newskeeto, July 11, 2013, 10:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newskeeto

I decided to go to a thrift store that I have not been to for quite a while. As soon as I walked in, I saw this lovely AE80 sitting on a shelf right in the front of the store. It seems early (handset cord coming from the rear, chrome plungers, big potted network) except for the fact that there is no rheostat on the bottom. Sorry for the bad picture, I couldn't seem to find good light.

WesternElectricBen

Looks nice! I really like the earlier ones with the chrome ring on the finger wheel. Currently I'm restoring a AE 80 pink.

Ben

newskeeto

I like the chrome ring too. Your pink one will look really cool once it is finished.

WesternElectricBen

I don't like pink but I think it's rare, pretty rare on a 500 but I've never seen it on a AE before!

AE_Collector

The first change to the initial AE 80 was elimination of the manual compensator from the base. It probably still has the mounting holes for it. Likely very early 60's. A nice old AE 80.

Terry

newskeeto

I think you're right about it being from the early 1960's because it does have a date stamp on the bottom and the first number in the year sort of looks like a 6. The rest of it is smudged too badly to read. Thank you for your input because I really wondered why an early AE80 like this wouldn't have manual compensation.

JorgeAmely

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on July 12, 2013, 01:13:46 AM
I don't like pink but I think it's rare, pretty rare on a 500 but I've never seen it on a AE before!

I created this album of pictures from an AE80 in pink that I restored some years ago. It is sort of modern (mid to late sixties I would say), since there is no chrome ring on the dial, but it is very pretty. This model has a printed circuit board network. The older AEs had a potted network. Enjoy!

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/MissAEBubbleGum1967#

PS: I just noticed that when I created the album in 2009, the date on the phone was 1967.
Jorge

WesternElectricBen

Dennis Markham

Jorge, thanks for posting that link to your web album.  Although I had seen it in 2009 when you made it, it was great to look through it again.  You did an amazing job of refurbishing that phone!  

If anyone has not looked through some of Jorge's albums, take some time to look at the amazing work he has done on his phones.

Here's the link to his album page:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator

Doug Rose

Jorge...outstanding idea. Your refurbs are amazing....Doug
Kidphone

AE40FAN

Jorge, you really do have some beautiful phones and you truly do amazing restorations! 

newskeeto

So shiny! I really need to get some Novus. I don't think I'd ever be able to do anything that nice, but it would be interesting to see how it would turn out if I tried.

AE_Collector

You should see what he can do to a badly discolored Dawn Gray AE 80!

Incredible job as usual Jorge!

Terry

JorgeAmely

Oh, thank you for your kind comments. What prompted me to respond to this thread is that my first AE80 phone was a Rose Beige AE80 that I found on ebay for just a few bucks.
Jorge

JorgeAmely

Quote from: newskeeto on July 13, 2013, 01:07:24 AM
So shiny! I really need to get some Novus. I don't think I'd ever be able to do anything that nice, but it would be interesting to see how it would turn out if I tried.

Never say never!

I didn't know anything about phones until Dennis introduced me to an Aqua Blue from 1955. Back then, to me, Novus could have been the name of a star in a far away galaxy. You can start with Novus unless there are deep scratches: in that case, progressive sanding is the way to go. Deep sun fading or discolorations can be handled by light sanding also. Some people in this forum have tried with very good results dipping plastics into mixtures of various chemicals. I once tried oven cleaner with good results, as in this case:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AE80White  ( dead link 4-5-2018 )

Or, as I have seen in the auto restoration business lately, just leave as it. Dust it off and leave the original patina on it. This one just took a light Novus polish:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/MonophoneAE801959Beige  ( dead link 4-5-2018 )

Please, post some under the hood pictures.

Jorge