News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Imagine the excitement

Started by Just4Phones, May 16, 2010, 11:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just4Phones

Imagine how excited I got when I saw this on Craigslist?  OMG now I can be one of those lucky people to get a genuine phone bargain that I always read about !!!!!!!!! :) :) :).  And they live very close to me.  Spoke to her this morning......"No that is not the actual phone.  It doesn't have that button thing or that twisty thing on it like that one."  It turns out she has a early 80's blue modular phone  :'(  Oh well I will keep looking and hoping ;)

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/clt/1733605801.html ( dead link 04-19-21 )

Joel

Greg G.

>:( >:( >:(  That's pure horsepucky!   >:( >:( >:( If they can post a picture of a different phone, they can post a picture of the actual one.  I hope you explained to them what they did was not nice!!

Hell, I just flagged it.  It's false advertising.  Both the description and the photo are knowingly false.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

At least it's not a Conairphone  ;D

Greg G.

What years are those mushroom phones from, anyway?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Does that photo on Craig's list look like this one from Gary Goff's website and shows a REAL aqua blue mushroom phone or is it my imagination failing here?

I don't think Gary uses Craig's list to sell phones ...  >:( >:( >:(

To see the website the photo came from visit:

http://telephonecollector.info/collectionsite/desk_sets/

... and scroll half way down.

Jorge

Greg G.

Yep, that's the one alright!  GG is in California.
- Mike Row
e

JorgeAmely

Greg:

He is from La Brea, CA

I wonder if the seller can be charged with interstate theft of property? Any attorneys around?
Jorge

Greg G.

I looked him up on the TCI roster.  I'm not an attorney, but so far I would say they are just being jerks at best, dishonest at worst.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

That's an amazing bait and switch!  Might as well show pictures of whatever you want when you sell an item.

Dan

Quote from: Brinybay on May 16, 2010, 12:00:33 PM

From about 1957-1960
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dan on May 16, 2010, 05:20:41 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on May 16, 2010, 12:00:33 PM

From about 1957-1960
They actually came out earlier than that.The P set was introduced in the BSP in May 1955. Before that the illuminated dial set was a H set. There was also a U set. My understanding is that illuminated dial sets were avaliable in all the soft colors (in case someone needs a new collecting theme).
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

The press releases for the 500H started in March 1954.  I've seen 500Us on ebay dated as late as 1961.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

Going off of (faulty) memory. The H and P are pretty much the same, light OFF on-hook , light ON off-hook.  (per the BSP)

The U has the turn switch. Which I think is an on/off switch, with the switch on  Dim on-hook, Bright off-hook. (per memory)

Paul will correct me if I am wrong.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Correct, Jim.

Marketers called the always on light position on the 500U the "night light" feature.

Singing Wires readers will remember the expose in "Dialing in the Dark" in the August 2009 issue demonstrating that the engineers apparently got too creative pirating parts for the light control when converting a 500D to a 500H.

The result was service restrictions for the 500H.  Within a year, they replaced the line switch and renamed the set the 500P. 

The details are buried in the BSPs.  Check out a few of the early issues of C32.535 for more info.

It was interesting to catch the Bell System in a design SNAFU and see how they handled it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AET

Oh boy would I be upset if that wasn't the real deal. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, but at least you found out before you got duped.
- Tom