"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

557B Receiver Element for E1

Started by rp2813, May 20, 2010, 03:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Hello all,

I've inquired about the 557B element in other threads but haven't had any replies.  Perhaps because what I'm looking for doesn't exist?

I have a WE 202 with E1 handset.  I outfitted it a while back with the F1 transmitter conversion, which is a dramatic improvement over the original "bullet" transmitter.

I'd like to make the related upgrade the receiver end.  Did WE ever come up with a conversion kit to upgrade from the 557B to the HA1 receiver element?  My 557B reception is very hollow and squawky, and the distant party's voice doesn't come through very clearly.   The volume is fine; it's the clarity that is the issue.  I presume this is typical of the 557B and that one shouldn't expect the same level of clarity from a 557B as with an HA1, so I'm not inclined to throw money away on a replacement 557B if it's not going to improve anything.

Can anyone advise if there's a HA1 retrofit for the E1, or if the average 557B should provide better performance than I'm experiencing with mine?

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph

Phonesrfun

Ralph,

I saw your earlier post, and didn't reply because I am not aware of any retrofit replacement.  You might try getting a replacement diaphragm for the 557B, and also check for any iron filings, dirt or some other material that might be getting in the way between the diapragm and the pole pieces.  Check the diaphragm for rust or being bent.

The frequency response of a 557B is very much heightened at about 1000 Hz as compared with the H1A and the U1 which may be the source of your observations of "hollow"  Everyone hears differently, but that would be an indication.  Myself, I have a hearing problem where my hearing starts to drop off at that frequency, so I probably don't hear it as much as others.

And, by the way, just because I am not aware of a replacement doesn't mean that one does not exist.  It just means I have not seen one.  From a practical standpoint, however, I think the H1A would not fit in the 557B surroundings without that being modified and expanded.  The opposite was true for the conversion to the F1 transmitter element.  The F1 was quite a bit smaller than the 395 Barrier Button (bullet) transmitter.  In that case, there was plenty of room to make that adapter for the retrofit.
-Bill G

rp2813

Thanks Bill.  I didn't even think about the HA1 being a larger size than the 557.  I think that in itself answers my question. 

I haven't pulled the 557 element yet because the handset ring around it doesn't want to budge.  I think I'll have to get my hands on a strap wrench (or maybe a hair dryer?) and then I can check it out.

So if I understood you correctly, a replacement 557 element may not provide much improvement, right?

Ralph
Ralph

Phonesrfun

Ralph,

If the one you have is corroded or somehow gummed up with dirt or has a bent diaphragm, a replacement could improve the sound. 

However, those are things that a visual inspection and a cleaning could also cure, if you can get it apart.  Outside of the diaphragm and dirt, there really isn't much else to go wrong in a receiver, and those things are easy to check out and possibly resolve, except in extreme cases of rust, and so forth.
-Bill G

BDM

The sound quality out of these is fairly good IMHO. Without getting into exact freq response which is on the order of 1000/Hz with a narrow window(as stated). Someone with less acute hearing may find it very monotone and hard to decipher.

I've seen them with bent diaphrams. Even a very slight bend can effect the sound quality and level of volume to a large degree.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

Thanks guys.

I will try to remove the element and examine it.  It could very well be that it needs to be replaced because there is no comparison between the sound quality of my 557B and any of my HA1's.

One thing has occurred to me.  Could the subset I'm using have any impact on sound quality?  I can't find a date unless "430" in red on the side of a wood connector block means April 1930.   There is also a stamped "46B IND" on the top of the wood block at the other end.  The ringer coils are both marked "500."  All other components of the phone set itself are from 1930 or 31 except for the 1936 F1 transmitter capsule.
Ralph

Phonesrfun

The 46B induction coil was a later Western improvement to the #20 coil.  It is a sidetone coil which was apparently used in the 534 and 584 subsets.  The 534 subset was made of metal and had a larger ringer.  The 584 had a bakelite cover and a smaller ringer.  The 500 markings on the ringer coils are the DC resistance of each coil; 500 Ohms each.

The inductor is purely a passive device and should not affect the sound quality. 

It is sidetone, which means that there will be more sidetone than an antisidetone set.  Sidetone is the relative loudness of your own voice that you hear in the receiver when you speak into the mouthpiece.  Excessive sidetone makes one want to naturally lower their voice, and it is distracting in noisy areas.  The later sets were designed to reduce sidetone, but yours is apparently the earlier sidetone version.

As already mentioned, look for a bent or rusted diaphragm or crud around the receiver pole pieces.  No need to take the receiver out, just take the receiver cap off and remove the diaphragm, which is held in place by the receiver cap.

Hope you can find the source of the distortion.
-Bill G

rp2813

Thanks Bill, I'll check the diaphragm as you advised.

So my subset could be contributing to the problem then?  There's definite sidetone and a loud hollow click when handset is lifted and at either end of the dial travel.  I have a later subset I can switch out with it.  Is that worth trying if the diaphragm appears to be OK?
Ralph

Phonesrfun

I was saying that I did not think the subset would be the problem.  You can definitely try another subset, no reason why you can't.  So, try that and see.  Is your current subset all metal or does it have a bakelite cover?

-Bill G

paul-f

If your goal is sound quality and not period authenticity, you can start modernizing all the other components as well -- using the handset and subset as enclosures for newer components.  Subsets evolved to use the 101A coil and later 425 networks, etc.  There's no reason you couldn't put an AE mini-network in the subset and see if it improves the quality.  Also, there may be more modern receiver capsules that are smaller than an HA1 and will fit in the space.

Going back to your original point, the standard way to upgrade sets to the HA1 receiver was to replace the E handset with an F handset -- as was done with B and D mountings.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

rp2813

Thanks Paul.  Of course it makes sense that they would have just changed out the whole handset.  I'd like to keep the phone's technology as early as possible without receiving complaints from the distant party (I think I have this handled with the F1 transmitter which is 10/36, not 5/36 as previously stated).  I think I'll change out the subset just to see if I notice any difference. 

Bill, my subset housing is all metal.  I'll try to get a picture of the inside posted.  The one I'd replace it with is all metal too but the insides are later, with some  components that resemble those on a 302 phone chassis.

I tried to check the diaphragm.  It has been a while since I've used this phone.  It turns out the cap is what's stuck and won't turn.  I think I need to get my hands on a strap wrench.
Ralph