"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 Ringers with muted gongs?

Started by HarrySmith, May 25, 2010, 04:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

D/P:

The gizmo (A.K.A. the 111B amplifier) amplifies the voice signal on the line that the user hears. It is in use only when the handset is picked by the user. At other times, switches that are part of the hook switch pileup turn off this circuit.

When the phone is ringing, the resonators allow a hearing impaired person to listen to the ringer at a longer range.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
Thanks for clarifying that, I was reading it that it was used to amplify the ringer ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 26, 2010, 12:42:58 PM
Jorge;
Thanks for clarifying that, I was reading it that it was used to amplify the ringer ?
D/P

Yes and no. Sorry if I sound like a Washington politician. The resonator is not an amplifier, but it makes the gong sound louder. Take for example a guitar: if you eliminate the box and have only the strings, when you strike them with your finger nails, they don't sound as loud as when the guitar box is present.

Does size matters? Yes it does. The natural frequency of the gong is dictated by the dimensions, metal thickness and materials used. So the resonator placed inside the gong makes the sound louder by reinforcing the sound naturally produced by the gong. Therefore the dimensions of the resonator closely follow the gong. Same principle applies to string musical instruments. A violin has a small box to amplify the high pitch sounds produced by the strings. In a cello, the frequency is lower, therefore, the size of the box is larger.
Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
I was reading that the 111A was used to amplify the gongs, I understand now they are both used for amplification, but are separate from each other.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson