News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Strange behaviour of ebay seller. What is going on?

Started by Matilo Telephones, May 22, 2014, 01:21:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

I'm trying to buy a phone from a seller in Germany. I won the bid, but shipping costs for Holland were not added to the listing.

I have been messaging through ebay with him for a couple of days now. He keeps saying that I can make the payment, and how much the shipping costs are.

On the site, I get no further. The shipping costs are not added to the listing, so I cannot finish the payment with my Dutch address.

After mailing about 10 times to and fro, the seller more or less keeps repeating himself, and I have been trying to explain that the he should update the listing with shipping costs for Holland.

Now he says he did that, but I still get the same. No shipping costs for Holland, I should contact the seller.

He also says my postal code is in error. It is a normal postal code, in standard notation. I have not had this problem with other sales.

Last message I get he says I can pay him directly into his bankaccount and he gives me his bank details.

There is no dispute over the price and costs, but I thing this is strange. I do not like to pay directly. I get no buyer protection and I think ebay misses out on provision. Right?

Is this fishy? Or am I being paranoid?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on May 22, 2014, 01:21:35 PM
I'm trying to buy a phone from a seller in Germany. I won the bid, but shipping costs for Holland were not added to the listing.

I have been messaging through ebay with him for a couple of days now. He keeps saying that I can make the payment, and how much the shipping costs are.

On the site, I get no further. The shipping costs are not added to the listing, so I cannot finish the payment with my Dutch address.

After mailing about 10 times to and fro, the seller more or less keeps repeating himself, and I have been trying to explain that the he should update the listing with shipping costs for Holland.

Now he says he did that, but I still get the same. No shipping costs for Holland, I should contact the seller.

He also says my postal code is in error. It is a normal postal code, in standard notation. I have not had this problem with other sales.

Last message I get he says I can pay him directly into his bankaccount and he gives me his bank details.

There is no dispute over the price and costs, but I thing this is strange. I do not like to pay directly. I get no buyer protection and I think ebay misses out on provision. Right?

Is this fishy? Or am I being paranoid?

I don't think the seller can update the listing with new shipping information after the auction is completed, or even during the auction when bids have already been placed, but perhaps the rules are different for eBay.de.
I recently had a request to ship overnight, after the BIN sale was completed and paid for.  We agreed to pay the extra shipping cost directly from Paypal account to Paypal account. All went well.

When preparing and buying the shipping label the seller can change the delivery address as well as shipping method, but I don't know selling process for Germany. Only bought there with shipping already fixed.

Matilo Telephones

Well I bought another phone from a seller who did update with shipping costs.

I even get the message that shipping costs are not given for my location and I can click on an option to ask the seller to enter them to the invoice.

I even got a copy of that message.

Please mind that I am very new to ebay.
Groeten,

Arwin

poplar1

Some sellers say in every listing to ignore the ebay shipping calculator, and instead wait for an invoice. This suggests that the amount shown on the listing is not necessarily final.

The seller can also change the amount already shown on an invoice.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Quote from: poplar1 on May 22, 2014, 02:09:22 PM
Some sellers say in every listing to ignore the ebay shipping calculator, and instead wait for an invoice. This suggests that the amount shown on the listing is not necessarily final.

The seller can also change the amount already shown on an invoice.

That is true, the shipping information can always be changed via the final invoicing, but that would not show on the listing page. The fact that there was no shipping info given may make some difference in what can be changed, and the rules may well be different in Europe.

HarrySmith

I have  to agree with Unbeldi as I have done that in the past. By using PayPal you will get thier buyer protection.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Matilo Telephones

Ah yes, the seller asked me to pay by bank directly, but I do prefer paying by Paypall this time.

Thanks for the input, guys.

I have made arrangments to pay through PP with the seller and just finished payment. After all, I want that phone. (red east German touch tone).
Groeten,

Arwin