"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Overachiever Princess Phones

Started by McHeath, October 05, 2008, 02:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

These are clearly the Worlds Most Amazing Princess Phones™

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Vintage-Western-Electric-Princess-Phones-with-Boxes_W0QQitemZ290265110910QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ( dead link 03-13-21 )

Why for this price he even throws in free shipping.  How much better a deal can you get?!

Mark Stevens

Quote from: McHeath on October 05, 2008, 02:19:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Vintage-Western-Electric-Princess-Phones-with-Boxes_W0QQitemZ290265110910QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Why for this price he even throws in free shipping.  How much better a deal can you get?!

Geez...what are they thinking?!  :o

Dennis Markham

Wonder what that seller has been smoking? 

BDM

I have both models and colors. Probably don't have more than $60 wrapped up in them. What a joke....This is what I love about a free market. Jokers like this get weeded out.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

And for your money you only get one slightly fuzzy picture to access if they are worth the loot.  No sign of the power adaptors, wonder if those are an extra $500 each?

JimH

Quote from: McHeath on October 05, 2008, 02:19:07 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Two-Vintage-Western-Electric-Princess-Phones-with-Boxes_W0QQitemZ290265110910QQihZ019QQcategoryZ38038QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wouldn't pay that if they were NOS and Henry Dreyfuss himself brought them to the house!
Jim H.

Mark Stevens

Quote from: JimH on October 09, 2008, 03:38:13 PM
I wouldn't pay that if they were NOS and Henry Dreyfuss himself brought them to the house!

I don't know...
I believe I might pay that if he autographed them!  ;)

McHeath

Maybe if Henry carved them out of solid blocks of plastic, brass, and steel, and then autographed them, they might be worth it.

Perhaps there is something we don't know about these phones to justify the price, maybe they are nuclear powered.

McHeath

Oh shocking, the auction ended and nobody ponied up the grand for the Princesses. 

McHeath

Okay I was at the local junk store after work today, picked up a nice 50's end table shaped like a rocket, and there were a lot of rotary phones for sale.  Picked up a nice little yellow Princess phone for $1.99, with the matching yellow line cord to boot.  Not bad eh, way better than this auction price, though I did not get any original boxes.

Also had a couple of Stromberg 500s, both ivory, for 4 dollars.  A black WE 500 for 4 bucks.  A black WE 554 for 5 bucks.  All looked pretty decent, but they were all late 70s and early 80s so not exactly oldies.  Kinda amazing though to find so many rotary phones for such low prices, that's pretty rare here.

Dennis Markham

Sounds like you got a nice deal for that yellow Princess.  A hard wired handset??  Is it a 701B or 702B?  The 701's didn't have a ringer inside.

McHeath

No, sadly no hardwired handset and 701B, it's modular, and late model, 1984 CS series, but hey 2 bucks is a deal.  The Stromberg 500s were hardwired, interestingly, but they were 1980 era and not all that exciting to me.  There was a very recent made Trimline, 2003, from that Northwestern Bell company which uses the Bell logo, they are made in China of course, and this phone was almost an exact duplicate of the original.  Kinda uncanny.  Even the keypad was almost a straight clone, did not even have redial or any other modern buttons, only the original 12 keys, square shaped.  Might go back and buy it just to take it apart and see what the guts look like.