News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Candlestick with WE dial

Started by wds, August 20, 2011, 07:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Look what I just picked up off of Ebay.  Look carefully at the dial - seller says the faceplate is not notched.  $61!  
Dave

Doug Rose

Quote from: wds on August 20, 2011, 07:08:16 PM
Look what I just picked up off of Ebay.  Look carefully at the dial - seller says the faceplate is not notched.  $63!  
Nice hit Dave...#2 dial. If the dial plate has no notch it is worth more than you paid for the phone, let alone the #2....Nice....Doug
Kidphone

wds

The phone came today.  #2AA dial, no notch.  I figure the candlestick parts are worth what I paid for the phone, and the dial was pretty much free.  After I disassemble the phone and remove the dial, I'll see what type the #2 dial is.  The phone was thrown in the box, with no wrapping on it at all.  There were a couple of those air packs in the box - I'm still amazed that nothing was broken. 
Dave

Doug Rose

Real nice Dave, the dial plate is amazing....Doug
Kidphone

wds

I removed the dial, and put it on a nice WE candlestick where it belongs, and was going to send the rest of the phone to the chop shop.  After taking it apart, I decided to clean it up and add it to my collection after all.  Here's my Kellogg trilogy.  
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Here's my lowly Kellogg, no dial, but it is a working phone.

Larry

stopthemachine

Quote from: wds on September 15, 2011, 07:21:49 PM
I removed the dial, and put it on a nice WE candlestick where it belongs, and was going to send the rest of the phone to the chop shop.  After taking it apart, I decided to clean it up and add it to my collection after all.  Here's my Kellogg trilogy.  
Wow!  Nice score on the WE #2 dial, Dave--it's gorgeous.  I love the Kellogg collection--is that a chromed Kellogg manual set with an early AE dial on it?  Also, sweet Kellogg dial candlestick.  The Kellogg dial candlesticks don't come up much on eBay, and I'm always so surprised that people will pick up the WE dials so much faster than the more difficult-to-find dial candlesticks such as Kellogg and SC.  As much as I love the WE dial candlestick phones, I think that SC still made the most aesthetically-pleasing model. 

In my collection of candlestick phones, I have three SC dial phones--one in a brushed bronze, another with chromed parts, and another that is chromed with an AE bulldog transmitter.  One dial Kellogg candlestick and a manual, chromed set (gorgeous and probably my oldest phone), two AE candlesticks, and two WE dials sets and a manual one.  Although normally, I set my phones apart by make, I keep all the candlestick phones together because they just display so nicely in unison. 

Once again, congrats on the $60 deal!

Dan

wds

Yes, the one in the middle is all nickel plate except for the bakelite sleeve.  The nickel is a little worn, but displays very nice.  Notice that the nickel stick has a different bottom plate.  The regular bottom plate is steel, and always painted black.  This one has a flat  plate that is nickel, with a green cover on the bottom.  I haven't seen any other all nickel Kellogg sticks, so I don't know if that bottom  plate was standard issue for nickel sticks or not. 
Dave

stopthemachine

Quote from: wds on September 15, 2011, 09:58:00 PM
Yes, the one in the middle is all nickel plate except for the bakelite sleeve.  The nickel is a little worn, but displays very nice.  Notice that the nickel stick has a different bottom plate.  The regular bottom plate is steel, and always painted black.  This one has a flat  plate that is nickel, with a green cover on the bottom.  I haven't seen any other all nickel Kellogg sticks, so I don't know if that bottom  plate was standard issue for nickel sticks or not. 

I'll have to check mine--it's a dead ringer for yours: has the bakelite shaft and everything.  The bakelite shaft on my phone, as I remember, has a brownish-type swirl to it.  I remember the remember that the receiver is pretty heavy and does not have the notches that some of the Kellogg receivers have on the receiver caps. 

Oops!  I said chrome for my manual c/s, but it's nickel-plated as well--duh on me.  I must have been thinking of my SC dial c/s phone. 

I think my dial Kellogg c/s has a North dial on it, but I'll have to check.  It might also be an early Kellogg dial (but I really think it's a North).  I know that my bronzed SC phone has a North dial on it. 

wds

I have a nice North dial waiting for a good c/s - it's a full 3" complete with the adapter plate on the back.  Not sure which c/s would be the best, but probably a SC.  That's the problem with having spare parts - I always have to find the other parts to make a complete phone.  I should probably sell the dial, but that wouldn't be as much fun.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

Could you post a picture of the back side of the North dial?  I would like to see how it compares with mine.

Thank you

Larry

wds

Here it is.  Does anyone know what phone this would have come off of?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Mine looks the same, but the adapter ring is badly shrunken and was crumbling, so I had to glue it together.  Mine came out of an AE34, but I rather doubt that AE shipped phones that way.

Larry

Doug Rose

I have a Kellogg Grab a phone with a North Dial on it. Cleaned up nicely....Doug
Kidphone

wds

That's what I need to go with my other 3 dial candlesticks!  I think your dial is a 2 3/4" or 2 7/8"  - mine is a full 3", so I think my dial must have come off of a newer phone.  I can't quite tell from the picture, but the dial mount looks like it is part of the base, and not an add on?
Dave