"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help me make a decision on this

Started by mienaichizu, August 14, 2009, 11:02:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

Quote from: Brinybay on August 15, 2009, 05:14:34 AM
I like the rose NEC too, albeit a little pricey.  And he doesn't ship, I would have to meet him at Starbucks in Quezon City.  Next time I'm in the neighborhood I'll see if he still has it and have an iced mocha while I'm waiting.

Quezon City is a bit far from my place, a 1 1/2 - 2 hours drive but the place is near my girlfriends place so I might drop by on it

mienaichizu

Quote from: bingster on August 16, 2009, 12:03:42 AM
For those who like the styling of the nifty art deco-ish phones mienaichizu is lucky to find in the Philippines, here's one a little closer to home:

> LINK <

bingster, that phone on the link is close to my NEC phones

mienaichizu

I might there within this week when I visit my girlfriend. I really like the Old Rose Phone and the GPO, I might get both but I'm still thinking about the signal corps

foots

Ramil, the Connecticut Telephone and Electric handset looks nothing like a North Electric handset. The Connecticut handset faintly resembles a Western Electric F1 handset, but is slightly smaller and does not have such a prominent ridge along the length of it. Also, the Connecticut handset is not made of bakelite, but of soft plastic with soft plastic caps, making it much lighter than a bakelite handset. The transmitter cap on the Connecticut handset has a smaller diameter than the North Electric handset. If a North Electric handset is placed in the cradle, the transmitter's cap will touch contact the body of the phone. People often replace Connecticut handsets with those from other makes because the soft plastic handsets did not hold up well to many years of abuse by the military, though for normal home use, there should be no problem. Here are some not so good pictures I've found of both handsets.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

mienaichizu

So the phone has a NE Galion handset. I've seen in person the phone and I noticed that it is painted. What is the best process of restoration should I do to remove the paint without damaging it if ever I will buy the phone?

foots

I use a product called  Klean Strip Premium Stripper. It comes in an aerosol spray can and all you do is spray it on, let it foam up for about 6 or 7 minutes, then wipe it off. You may need to do this 2 or 3 times to get all of the paint off. You don't have to use this particular brand, any spray on paint stripper should work. Don't use this stuff without wearing rubber gloves.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"