News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone painting techniques/results

Started by BDM, October 22, 2008, 12:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matilo Telephones

Several variants of early W28's (not all). Ericsson 1920's wallphones. An ZB/SA 19 made by T&N. Possibly some more. I'd have to check.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Sargeguy

I only paint metal phones when they are rusty or missing significant areas of paint.  After stripping the phone, I use several coats of semi-gloss spray paint, baking the phone between coats at the highest setting possible.  I then sand the phone using a high grade steel wool #000.then #0000,or  Mirlon 1500 then 2500 to remove the glossy shine. I then polish with Novus #2.  It gives a more realistic finish.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Also, when stripping paint from metal I use Klean Strip Aircraft Remover.  It is pretty powerful stuff.  Avoid Rustoleum Aircraft Remover.  It apparently does not do anything.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

Greg -

What temperature is "the highest setting possible"? Presumably you are baking in your kitchen oven? Most of them can easily exceed 400 degrees.

How long do you bake it?

Bill

Sargeguy

Mine goes up to 500.  I have not set my oven on fire at 500, but your results may vary!  I have had very good results with 350, however, so that is probably a better recommendation.  Make sure the paint has dried first.   Bake each coat separately.  Make sure your wife is not home.  I bake for 20 minutes and then shut the oven off and let the oven and phone part cool gradually.  When I use lower temperatures, like 200, I have noticed that the phones are more prone to dings and wear when sanding/polishing.  If the phone has a paper tag you may have to use a lower temperature such as 250.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Babybearjs

I had an interesting result one time.... I had a 211 and I put the parts in my oved to try to "Bake" the paint off.... wound up with a molten mess.... be careful with those old metal phones.... they aren't all steel.... Pot metals to be sure....W.E. was good about that!
John