News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What have you guys done to me?

Started by Icefire, March 05, 2014, 11:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I heard when people try to quit smoking, or drinking, they start up a hobby like cars or something like this...

But, not the issue is, your breakthrough hobby needs a breakthrough. hehe

Ben

AE_Collector

Many will buy several AE 40's and 50's on ebaY and then start looking for chromed rings for the handset caps. They are not easy or inexpensive to find on their own plus shipping etc. It is much easier and probably less expensive over all to pay a bit more for one that comes with the chromed caps. I like to have some on display with and some without the chrome accents.

Terry

Icefire

I figured that out about the rings. Are they hrs to put on if you heat the rings and freeze the handset?

poplar1

Quote from: Icefire on March 10, 2014, 02:08:25 AM
I figured that out about the rings. Are they hrs to put on if you heat the rings and freeze the handset?

Actually they are quite easy to install or remove. Once the caps are removed, the rings slide on or off without any heat or cold. However, you must use caps that were designed for added rings.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WEBellSystemChristian

That's what happened to me. If you're going to get more phones, don't make the mistake I made, and restore the phones you have now. Before long, you'll have fifteen phones awaiting restoration, with only six finished phones ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Slal

Quote from: Icefire on March 05, 2014, 11:56:58 AM
I've only been into this new hobby of restoring old phones a few weeks...started out buying an AE50 for my old 1952 house, but now, find myself reading all the back pages on all the collector sites, searching e-bay at late hours looking for rare phones at good prices....

I just bought my second old phone, an AE-40 in good shape for $35...Stop me before I buy another!!

I've barely started on my AE 50 restoration...now I have it's matching desk phone...

I have the sickness. Wife is gonna kill me...

Heh.  Glad I'm not the only one.  ; )

Already have a hobby of restoring old electronics & have a garage full of 40 pound 'donor units' that I just can't bring myself to throw away.  I'll need a part the day after I toss one. 

Where am I going to start putting old phones?  At least they take up less space!