"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

8 payphones near me.

Started by Greg G., November 25, 2017, 01:35:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Your comments? 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Two more. I'm waiting for a price on the Kellogg. Price updated.

=============================

Store Price Summary

Phone   Sticker
      1     $375.00
      2     $275.00
      3     $550.00
      4     $95.00
      5     $325.00
      6     $225.00
      7     $850.00
      8     $550.00
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Payphone installer

1st picture looks more like a Gray number 20 then a 14 of course after all these years it is always hard to say so what i do is go by parts. it looks like it has the plate on the bottom that the stick sets on if it does then if it the real deal it would be marked Gray on it. if it is marked VTS it is a repro. all in all number 1 has good parts handle,candlestick plate handle and arm. It appears to have a nice lock in it. if the lock number matches the tag on the door its a big deal. even if all the parts are repro number 1 is a good deal.

Number 2 second picture is a 23J set up for a independent telephone Kellogg handset generic card from Gray worth 275.00-350.00 phone is priced right.

Number 3 Nice 23-A  from what I can see bottom plate should be molded into cast back if it is,its a rare piece. Looks like it has the upper lock once again if the lower lock matches the vault drawer tag it a big bonus. This phone is priced cheap. I would snap it up right now at that price. If it has the cast back with molded bottom plate value 800.00-1200.00 buy it.

Number 4 No big deal I would pay 75.00 with no keys.

Number 5  Top lock is correct,bonus if lock matches tag on lower set up as independent. this phone is priced at its value maybe worth 275.00-350.00 on a good day.

Number 6 these are always conversions,they don't do much for me. hard to tell in the picture but the back looks wrong, if its the alumium L bracket its legit just late in the game. Phone is priced right at its value.

Number 7  This is the prize it is called a Gray Wanamaker because it was in Wanamaker department stores. there are two I think the numbers are 21 and 24 but can't remember for sure. The difference in the two is they came in case iron and in aluminum. The aluminum being more common. I have owned about 5 of  these. rear lock is hard to find as it is a odd ball size might be a number 18 but cant remember. I bought my first one 25 years ago for 800 dollars they range anywhere between 1200.00 to 1800. I personally believe they are worth 1300.00 for aluminum and 1400.00 for cast iron. I sold all mine in that range. You need to buy that phone. you wont see it again.

Number 8 If the bottom plate is molded into the backboard it is a good piece, don't see any keys but for what I do see it is priced fairly. if it is all correct probably worth 800.00-950.00.

What I have typed here is what I can see. It would take a much closer look to know more.For instance some of these collectors had spiral chutes,are the chutes in them. Do coins go threw them,do that chime and gongs are the chimes and gongs in there?  Does the owner have all the keys. Do the locks match the tags on the front? Are the handles and arms repro, if they are and a good job it does not matter that much. My values are based on some repro parts. The phones look good somebody has spent some time on them. If I was doing this deal I would make one offer to take them all at one price. That is generally how you get the best deal. They would all be good to keep, it would be the start to a nice Gray collection. however if you cant keep them all if you get the right price you can sell some and get some money back on the ones you keep. That's what I do over and over, always buying and selling and upgrading to a nicer phone or sign.

I should add my values are based on buying and selling old phones I do it a lot and have a good feel for the market and value, I have been doing this since 1987 I think I am pretty close on current value. Jim

wds

I don't know near as much as Jim on these grays, but I would almost jump on a plane to get that Wanamaker!
Dave

Greg G.

Quote from: Payphone installer on November 25, 2017, 08:36:46 AM
1st picture looks more like a Gray number 20 then a 14 of course after all these years it is always hard to say so what i do is go by parts. it looks like it has the plate on the bottom that the stick sets on if it does then if it the real deal it would be marked Gray on it. if it is marked VTS it is a repro. all in all number 1 has good parts handle,candlestick plate handle and arm. It appears to have a nice lock in it. if the lock number matches the tag on the door its a big deal. even if all the parts are repro number 1 is a good deal.

Number 2 second picture is a 23J set up for a independent telephone Kellogg handset generic card from Gray worth 275.00-350.00 phone is priced right.

Number 3 Nice 23-A  from what I can see bottom plate should be molded into cast back if it is,its a rare piece. Looks like it has the upper lock once again if the lower lock matches the vault drawer tag it a big bonus. This phone is priced cheap. I would snap it up right now at that price. If it has the cast back with molded bottom plate value 800.00-1200.00 buy it.

Number 4 No big deal I would pay 75.00 with no keys.

Number 5  Top lock is correct,bonus if lock matches tag on lower set up as independent. this phone is priced at its value maybe worth 275.00-350.00 on a good day.

Number 6 these are always conversions,they don't do much for me. hard to tell in the picture but the back looks wrong, if its the alumium L bracket its legit just late in the game. Phone is priced right at its value.

Number 7  This is the prize it is called a Gray Wanamaker because it was in Wanamaker department stores. there are two I think the numbers are 21 and 24 but can't remember for sure. The difference in the two is they came in case iron and in aluminum. The aluminum being more common. I have owned about 5 of  these. rear lock is hard to find as it is a odd ball size might be a number 18 but cant remember. I bought my first one 25 years ago for 800 dollars they range anywhere between 1200.00 to 1800. I personally believe they are worth 1300.00 for aluminum and 1400.00 for cast iron. I sold all mine in that range. You need to buy that phone. you wont see it again.

Number 8 If the bottom plate is molded into the backboard it is a good piece, don't see any keys but for what I do see it is priced fairly. if it is all correct probably worth 800.00-950.00.

What I have typed here is what I can see. It would take a much closer look to know more.For instance some of these collectors had spiral chutes,are the chutes in them. Do coins go threw them,do that chime and gongs are the chimes and gongs in there?  Does the owner have all the keys. Do the locks match the tags on the front? Are the handles and arms repro, if they are and a good job it does not matter that much. My values are based on some repro parts. The phones look good somebody has spent some time on them. If I was doing this deal I would make one offer to take them all at one price. That is generally how you get the best deal. They would all be good to keep, it would be the start to a nice Gray collection. however if you cant keep them all if you get the right price you can sell some and get some money back on the ones you keep. That's what I do over and over, always buying and selling and upgrading to a nicer phone or sign.

I should add my values are based on buying and selling old phones I do it a lot and have a good feel for the market and value, I have been doing this since 1987 I think I am pretty close on current value. Jim

My eyes were going to the Wanamaker also.  $3245 for entire lot is the sticker price.  Suggested dollar offer for the entire lot?  I would need to educated myself on red flags and "deal killers" for any of the phones. 
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Antique store or private sale? I'm guessing a private sale. If so, from original collector/owner or "bought at an estate sale"?

Based solely on my thoughts of an offer for the lot and not based on any knowledge of the PayStations....

Offer $2400-$2500 for the lot as even individual sales are going to involve reduced offers. If need be you can move up a bit more if there is a counter offer depending how badly you want the lot and are willing to sell of those you don't want.

Just my thoughts...

Terry

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_Collector on November 25, 2017, 11:42:32 PM
Antique store or private sale?im guessing private sale. If so, from original collector/owner or "bought at an estate sale"?

Based solely on my thoughts of an offer for the lot and not based on any knowledge of the PayStations....

Offer $2400-$2500 for the lot as even individual sales are going to involve reduced offers. If need be you can move up a bit more if there is a counter offer depending how badly you want the lot and are willing to sell of those you don't want.

Just my thoughts...

Terry

I'm fairly certain it's a private sale.  The seller said they would meet me somewhere with the phone I picked out.  I'm very tempted, but right now I can't in good conscience make this kind of purchase.  I would be more than willing to be a go-between for someone if the seller isn't willing to ship.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Seller is a collector and has given me his phone number.  PM me if you would like it, I don't want to post it directly.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

A boat-load of parts and partial phones also.

- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More parts.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Parts continued.
- Mike Row
e

Number, please!

Wow!  A bigger basement, a smaller wife, a fatter wallet and I'd be all in!
Stu

Greg G.

Quote from: Number, please! on November 26, 2017, 02:32:46 PM
Wow!  A bigger basement, a smaller wife, a fatter wallet and I'd be all in!

I was very tempted, but the timing is all wrong for me for even just one piece. But I may spring for one of those incomplete sets.
- Mike Row
e

RB

Greg G.

Quote from: RB on November 30, 2017, 11:28:10 AM
WOW!!! verry nice haul!

I didn't buy any of them, just posting for information.
- Mike Row
e