News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericsson type 1951 Questions

Started by Fabius, October 28, 2015, 10:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

Picked up this Ericsson type 1951 (phone on the left) pretty cheap off of eBay. It's a little unusual as it has no earthing (grounding?) button. What is that tag on the bottom? It had a MADE IN HOLLAND sticker on it which I was surprisingly easily able to remove. Notice that the original schematic has another schematic placed over it.  Phone is marked PTT.

The Matilo Telephones site says the earlier models had rubber spacers and the later ones had metal. Where are these spacers?

On the bottom is a tag that's marked CE 53. 1953?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on October 28, 2015, 10:36:42 PM
Picked up this Ericsson type 1951 (phone on the left) pretty cheap off of eBay. It's a little unusual as it has no earthing (grounding?) button. What is that tag on the bottom? It had a MADE IN HOLLAND sticker on it which I was surprisingly easily able to remove. Notice that the original schematic has another schematic placed over it.  Phone is marked PTT.

The Matilo Telephones site says the earlier models had rubber spacers and the later ones had metal. Where are these spacers?

On the bottom is a tag that's marked CE 53. 1953?

CE 53 is the manufacturing date.   [[PS: I am not sure anymore this is true, it may have been the model number. I think we discussed this here at one time. I have to find the link.]]. I have one that is marked CE 51, and still has the original older style handset. Your has the newer type that looks a lot like the Western Electric F1.
The "Made in Holland" stickers were applied to all Dutch phones that were destined for export after being decommissioned by the PTT.  Large amounts of used phones were sold abroad instead of being junked. In the US it was most notably Radio Shack who sold them to the public.

Not all phones had the signaling button.  I think mine doesn't either, but I have to look.

PS:Here is a view of mine, and it doesn't have the button either:

unbeldi

Doesn't your picture of the bottom of your phone also display CE 51?   That's what I seem to read.

I think the metal or rubber spacers are only for the wall-mounted type, the desk sets simply have rubber feet.

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on October 29, 2015, 10:46:40 AM
Doesn't your picture of the bottom of your phone also display CE 51?   That's what I seem to read.

Opps, you're right. CE 51 it is. Do you know what the tag is on the bottom?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on October 29, 2015, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on October 29, 2015, 10:46:40 AM

Opps, you're right. CE 51 it is. Do you know what the tag is on the bottom?

It's hard to read at the resolution of the picture, but it seems to be some kind of inspection label, it has a   Contr. (controller?), Datum (date), and two others which I cannot make out.   I do see that it is official, from the PTT.

I am wondering also whether the CE51 indicates the Dutch telephone norm that these sets adhere to.  I think the norms changed in 1951 once again. This Ericsson Type 1951 was the first model that was submitted and approved after the PTT sent out a request for new telephone designs.  Ericsson, Heemaf, and another company, which I can never remember, were invited to submit.

I still haven't found the post where we discussed the tag, I can't remember if there was a resolution.   Hopefully, "Matillo" will chime in soon.

Fabius

I may try to put and use this one in service. The bells have a nice "European" two tone ring.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

unbeldi

I like the sounds of these too, same with the Heemaf 1955, which you have shown in your picture too.  The internals and I believe the bells are the same between these phones.  The PTT specified the internals in the norm.

They sound a little bit brighter than a 302.

Is there a manufacturing year on the Heemaf?

Matilo Telephones

Hi, the rubber spacers are on the wall version of this Phone. At least that was what I was trying to say when I wrote the article on my website.

Not having an earthing button is not uncommon. About 50% of them do not have one. (Although with the Heemaf older ones seem to have no button more often, strangely enough).

As for the CE51 label: I thought it was code used by Ericsson, as only Ericsson 51's seem to have them. BUt a couple of weeks ago I found some documents showing it was part of a PTT coding system for their telephone inventory, used in the late 50s. I have the full list and explanation of this system and will publish it on my site later.

C means desk Phone, E stands for Ericsson and 51 for 1951.

As for the paper label at the bottom: it was put there by the CWP, where these phones were refurbished. It is a quality control label, and contr means controleur > quality control inspector.

The base plate with electronic components was not mated with its Original body shell, when it was refurbished. That is why a new diagram was put in. There are several versions with minor differences and the type 51 had to versions with regards to the order of the terminals for the line cords.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

Tech&Music

Great to see our Dutch phones abroad!
Quote from: unbeldi on October 29, 2015, 01:25:58 PMand another company, which I can never remember, were invited to submit.
You're thinking about NSEM (Nederlandse Standard Electric Maatschappij) ;)

unbeldi

Quote from: Daniël Oosterhuis on October 29, 2015, 08:30:23 PM
Great to see our Dutch phones abroad!
Quote from: unbeldi on October 29, 2015, 01:25:58 PMand another company, which I can never remember, were invited to submit.
You're thinking about NSEM (Nederlandse Standard Electric Maatschappij) ;)

Yes, Standard Electric. Thank you. I don't know what is so hard to keep it in my mind.  Perhaps because I don't have a phone from them.  I have to change that, even if it were a T65 or something else more modern, than the 1950s.  But a type 1954 would be most fitting to stand next to my Heemaf and Ericsson types. I just don't see many.  It also makes a nice comparison to a Western Electric 302.

Tech&Music

I'd love to help you get one, but I imagine shipping costs to be a neck breaker!

unbeldi

Quote from: Daniël Oosterhuis on October 29, 2015, 09:38:12 PM
I'd love to help you get one, but I imagine shipping costs to be a neck breaker!

Well, I've paid for shipping phones from other places in Europe, so it all depends on the value of the phone itself, I suppose.  An opportunity will come, eventually...

Fabius

Quote from: unbeldi on October 29, 2015, 03:59:25 PM
Is there a manufacturing year on the Heemaf?

In white on the bottom is 7 63
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on October 29, 2015, 05:25:35 PM

As for the paper label at the bottom: it was put there by the CWP, where these phones were refurbished. It is a quality control label, and contr means controleur > quality control inspector.

And CWP stands for what? Czech Wiring People?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Here's a clear shot of the bottom paper label.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905