News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A REAL French phone!

Started by Greg G., December 26, 2009, 04:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

This is the first actual antique French phone I've come across.  All the others described as "French" were those 70s repros.

http://tinyurl.com/110472957342
( dead link 08-09-21 )

Anybody know French?  I tried translating what it says on the dial by carefully typing the words into Babel Fish Translator, which I know isn't really a translation, but rather a crude transliteration, but it says something about goatskin bottles?

Quoteinterurban l' directory or the hard-bound note for the NR d' call of the goatskin bottles special services in answer has any call announce HERE j' listen
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jiggerman

Here's the translation.

LONG DISTANCE 
Consult the telephone book or your chart for all your calling numbers and special services.  ______ For all incoming calls at ......I'm listening.

The chart they mention would have the number of the police, fire etc. In the rectangle your company name would be typed there. Please let me know if you need more info. Jiggerman

bwanna

veeerry interesting :o  are ya gonna buy it, greg ???
donna

McHeath

Love the blue and red buttons.  Wonder what those did?

Greg G.

Quote from: bwanna on December 26, 2009, 09:29:47 PM
veeerry interesting :o  are ya gonna buy it, greg ???

No, just never saw a "real" French phone before.  Besides, a phone with a dial card that can be translated "goatskin bottles special services" from a typo sounds too wierd, even for me!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu

Now that's what I cal a real French phone? Did you bought it? It's a bit pricey but I think it's worth the price.