News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first IVORY! A 302!

Started by Greg G., April 10, 2014, 08:16:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Been wanting an ivory phone for a while now, but held out for a good one!  Won this today from Goodwill online.  It happens to be in the Seattle store so I save on shipping plus I save on A LOT OF STRESS from worrying about bad packing.  I just won it about hour and a half ago (3:45 pm Pacific Time).  I've emailed them telling them I will pick it up, so I have to wait for them to send me a revised invoice, but it's MINE, ALL MINE, BWAHAHAHA!!  Here's some screen captures of the online pics in the mean time.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I know you're wondering, so here's what I paid, $135 with the handling charge:
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Sweet find! Congratulations! 8)

Maybe one of these days...

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Great find, I'm sure we are all envious!

Ben

Greg G.

Picked it up today, here's the pics.  Fully functions but doesn't ring, but I'm fairly certain it's just a matter of moving a wire, don't have time to mess with it just now.  I gave it a superficial wipe-down to get the loose crud off, it'll get a more thorough cleaning later.

I have to say, this is a beaut!  Real ivory color, not painted, no cracks or gouges.  Known problems other than the ring are the dial is a bit sluggish.  The corners of the case are a little snug, but not terribly so, I was able to get it off with just a little gentle coaxing.  The transmitter cap also has a bit of shrinkage.  I was able to get it off ok, but the transmitter element was stuck in it.  I had to use a hair dryer to get it out and also back in.

Dates are mixed, from late 52 to early 53.  Base date is 2-53.  Insides clean as a whistle.  White cloth handset cord, black rubber line cord with 4-prong plug.  The dial has a color code of 51, which is Moss Green.  The dial card appears to be customized with a previous owner's name, there's no such exchange as McGandy, and it doesn't match the phone number on the card anyway.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

More pics.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Yet more pics.
- Mike Row
e

Mr. Bones

Congratulations on finding such a beautiful Ivory 302!

Thanks for sharing the details, and pics.

I especially liked the 'Spy vs Spy' caption; that used to be one of my favourite cartoons! ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Doug Rose

Nice find Briny...it is a beauty!....Doug
Kidphone

persido

That is one awesome telephone, looks to be in great shape, congratulations.

Scot

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Greg.  Congratulations!

That 51 is actually 5J.  That's the model of the dial.  I'm pretty sure they didn't put color codes on the dials of the earlier phones.  5J is good, and what is usually found on the color 302's and many Continentals too. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Mr. Bones on April 12, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
Congratulations on finding such a beautiful Ivory 302!

Thanks for sharing the details, and pics.

I especially liked the 'Spy vs Spy' caption; that used to be one of my favourite cartoons! ;D

Best regards!

We're dating ourselves a bit by recognizing that old Mad Magazine cartoon, but that's ok.  I loved the old Mad Magazine of the 60s.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 12, 2014, 03:54:39 PM
Very nice phone, Greg.  Congratulations!

That 51 is actually 5J.  That's the model of the dial.  I'm pretty sure they didn't put color codes on the dials of the earlier phones.  5J is good, and what is usually found on the color 302's and many Continentals too. 

Thanks for that bit of info Dennis!  What was even more fun about this phone was when I picked it up, the young guy who brought it out (early 20s) wanted me to tell him something about the phone, which I gladly did.  I also commented that somebody did a good job on the photography, taking it from all angles, including the bottom, and it happened to be the same guy.
- Mike Row
e

WEBellSystemChristian

Absolutely beautiful find, Brinny! I've never seen an ivory 300 series that mint!
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

BEAUTIFUL ;D
What a great find, that phones looks fantatstic! If it was mine I would be removing the dial, sending it to Steve for cleaning & calibration. While it was out I would be figuring out how to fabricate new spacers to replace the rubber gromments which are causing the discoloraion of the case. Probably from plastic of some kind that will not outgas.
OOps! Sorry! Just my mind wandering as it often does, must be the drugs!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"