News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Orange ITT 3554 Touch Tone Style Wall Phone 1973

Started by Craig T, February 15, 2010, 10:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

Well, finished up my ITT 3554 TT wall phone from my collection. I bought this one the same day as the Mexican phone, so it has been waiting for a while for a shine. I finished it up last night.

It is dated mostly from 1973, I did see a 1980 in there also. The cord is just excellent on this one. This is the only complete TT phone I have in my collection right now, my other is incomplete.

The wall phones are nice too because they go a lot quicker  :)

LarryInMichigan

Craig T

This would have been a dead on match in my grandma's kitchen. She had the orange mushroom wallpaper and plenty of other orange. It was a great kitchen, no doubt that was my favorite setup they had.

Jim Stettler

Craig,
That is one shiny phone, I have always liked the funky orange and the companion funky green phones.

We used to have a funky green 2554 hooked up as a "dishwashing" phone.
It was on the same wall as the sink, but in the adjacent room . My wife could talk on the phone while hand-washing dishes and the cord wouldn't be a hazard. A G handset was her requirement (for shouldering purposes) on a "dishwashing" phone.

I hooked it up after being "clotheslined" to many times by the kitchen phone.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Holy Day-Glo Batman, what a great phone!  I really like these odd hybrid phones, one foot in the rotary past and one in the touch tone present, and of course the orange is groovy.  Cortelco still makes these 3554s, I've been considering getting a brand new white one to add to the collection.  

Dennis Markham

That orange phone is very nice.  I don't think it could shiny any better than it does now.  It looks better than new!  McHeath you need one of those to go with your Cortelcos...if you don't already have one.

Craig T

I love that the hard wire slots are original and not notched out for a modular jack. I want a lime green 500 style bad... me and about 22 others  :)

I have a real nice lime green mod oval mirror waiting to go with it. You would love this mirror McHeath, it is a beauty.

Thanks for the compliments Jim, McHeath, and Dennis. Greatly appreciated, I always look forward to sharing the end results with you folks.

JorgeAmely

Outstanding job, Craig.

I can hear it all the way to CA screaming disco, oil embargo, VHS cassette player and of course, the AMC Gremlin.

Jorge

McHeath

Yeah baby, an AMC Gremlin in this bright orange!!  That's the ticket!

My childhood home was built new in 73', typical ranch house style, and it had everything in Harvest Gold.  Drapes, tile, appliances, vinyl flooring, sinks, toilets, tub, and the grooviest super thick shag carpet on Earth.  Of course the 554 in the kitchen was a matching shade.

The identical house next door was all avocado green.

Don't know if the next house down was this bright orange, that would have been something. 

One of these 554s in lime green was recently on E-Bay.  It was part of a deal of 4 phones, and was a BIN for 150. 

Craig T

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Craig T on February 16, 2010, 12:59:40 AM
I was watching this same one on ebay if you all want to join the party!  Curious to see what they get :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200438658561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
$50 w/shipping is a nice collector price. I wouldn't go much past $75 delivered.I have been around a long time. My values might seem "cheap", Then again I spend "stupid" money on some items. "Go Figure"
JMO
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

McHeath

Yeah I saw that orange one on E-Bay as well.  Comes with two handsets eh?  That color certainly is driving the price and I won't be surprised if it lands on the high side of $50 when the dust settles.

Phonesrfun

Wow, Craig:

That is one excellent job you did, and what a looker that phone is.  Great job!

-Bill
-Bill G

bellsystemproperty

Interestingly Cortelco (what ITT changed their name to) still makes these. They're not as good quality though.
http://www.cortelco.com/products/3554.php

LM Ericsson

I saw one of these 3554 in the same color but being a Stromberg-Carlson at the metro station in Washington D.C. Should have taken a picture of it!
Regards,
-Grayson