News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

302 FROM 1938

Started by Sargeguy, December 20, 2008, 03:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just got a 302 with #4 dial and mostly matching dates from early 1938.  The exceptions are the I-1936 celluloid dial, the 1937 condenser, and a newer handset and cord and newer parts to the card cover.  The handset is dated 4-55 but the elements are dated 37 and 38.  Aside from the new handset and dial card, the phone is pretty much pristine and has never been tampered with.  Someone did remove the line cord at some point.  The paint is mostly intact as well.  Have a look:

I bought the phone off of eBay for $32.  The guy was local and I was able to pick it up without paying for shipping.  The phone # on the card is an exchange from my home town, so that was a bonus.

I don't want to tamper with this one too much, but the handset cord will need to be replaced and the phone needs to be cleaned.  I am going to try a 'holistic' approach where I don't take too much apart.   
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Steve

Nice phone at twice that price! good score!
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

HobieSport

I really like the zinc 302s.  That is a real beauty Sarge!

Sargeguy

Thanks.  As luck would have it, a package arrived this afternoon with more than a dozen old cloth cords in it.  I decided that since I was replacing the cords I would go with cloth line and handset cords.  The line cord has one of those 4 prong black Bell System plugs.  On the other hand, I am going to keep the celluloid dial plate.  It looks like crap but it is part of the phone and unlike the cord doesn't really affect performance.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

mienaichizu

nice! how I wish that I can score too for a 302

McHeath

Really nice phone and a good deal on the price. 

HobieSport

Quote from: mienaichizu
nice! how I wish that I can score too for a 302

There are so many decent 302s out there on Ebay...is the shipping to the Philippines just too expensive?  I know you mentioned the high cost of shipping before.  Have you looked into different less expensive ways of shipping?  It must be frustrating with all the phones available on Ebay in "The States", but then, you come up with some very interesting phones over there too. :)

Steve

Hey Sarge,

looking at that dial, that would be a major + selling point for me , if I were going to buy that phone. :)

don't touch it. if it bugs you, lets make a deal :)

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Steve on December 22, 2008, 10:26:16 PM

Hey Sarge,

looking at that dial, that would be a major + selling point for me , if I were going to buy that phone. :)

don't touch it. if it bugs you, lets make a deal :)

yah, there's a lot of cheap 302's on ebay but the shipping really give the high price, shipping usually cost 3 times higher on the item you bought, luckily I can score on other nice phones here in the Philippines, but still I cant find a 302 here

Sargeguy

Well luckily I was able to pick it up in person and skip the shipping.  I think the high shipping price was what kept the action on this phone reasonably low.  And I am keeping the celluloid face. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409