News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Replacing the ringer in a '72 554

Started by benkeys, February 15, 2013, 02:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benkeys

Over time ive noticed my 554 ringer hasnt been hitting the bells very well. I was thinking i could just replace it with another one that will fit. I imagine i should be able to find one that shouldnt be very expensive, i just dont know what to look for. I dont know if just SC or WE ringers will work or if ones out of other brands would work or even out of other types of phones like a 500 or 2500. Currently it has a frequency ringer (33 1/3) in it and i believe it was a party line ringer also. I wouldnt care if it was that type or not as long as it will ring and sound good. So, with that said what type of ringer should i be looking for? I would be looking here or ebay depending on what i'd have to spend. Although i should mention i'm not quite ready to buy one yet, but am basically trying to figure out what i need and a price range. Any info would be appreciated.. thanks
Ben K...  1960 WE 500 and 1972 SC 554   Always enjoying the sound of a phone with a bell ringer ringing....

twocvbloke

Dunno about that SC 554, but I've noticed that the gongs on WE, NE and ITT ringers are ever so slightly eccentric, so before buying another just yet, try loosening the screws slightly and turning the gongs until they're a little closer to the clapper, that should improve the ringing enough to make it loud and strong... :)

poplar1

If you are using this on a land line, You  need a Straight Line ringer such as the Western Electric C4A. Most central offices send out 20 cycle ringing current, so if you are using a frequency ringer, you need a 20-cycle one, not 33-1/3.

If you need one, no need to buy it. I can send you one.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.