News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Printing dial cards

Started by oldguy, March 11, 2017, 09:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldguy

There used to be a thread with a post that had a link to a little program in it to print simple dial cards. I think it was by "winkydink". You would enter your area code & phone number & then you could print it out. Does anybody remember this?
Gary

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on March 11, 2017, 09:57:21 PM
There used to be a thread with a post that had a link to a little program in it to print simple dial cards. I think it was by "winkydink". You would enter your area code & phone number & then you could print it out. Does anybody remember this?

I used to use it too. I have a book mark in my desktop. The last few times I tried to use it it didn't work. I'll try it again tomorrow and post the link. I miss it, it worked really well.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: oldguy on March 11, 2017, 09:57:21 PM

It's in here somewhere.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=503.0

Maybe this one

http://newmanium.net/phone.php

From

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=503.msg101824#msg101824

Ktownphoneco

Thanks John.     Gary, here's the link, but as Benny mentioned, it still seems to be broken.    Link :  http://newmanium.net/phone.php

Jeff Lamb   

Pourme

A shame. What I liked about that site was that it printed the proper size for a WE phone without me having to experiment with the proper size.
Benny

oldguy

Thanks guys, now that you mention it, I think it didn't work the last time I used it too. I was hoping it was fixed.
Gary

TelePlay

Was printing Kellogg style number cards, black background and white window and logo, on off white card stock using the best printing quality and dark ink options on a Samsung laser printer.

I noticed that if I rubbed a thumb over a printed card, the black on the paper high spots would rub off leaving small off white dots.

Maybe my fuser is weak or just couldn't handle the chosen options but found a quick solution, a tip.

I used my butane pencil torch with a smaller, broad flame and passed it over the printed card. The ink would become fused and no longer rub off. It's a trial and error pass in that if you do it too slow, you scorch the paper and too quick doesn't do the job.

Hairdryer did not work. An iron might but didn't want to touch the ink with a hot surface so didn't try it. The momentary high heat of a small butane flame did the job.

The card on the left was rubbed before torching, the one on the right after torching. So, if you have this problem, this may be a fix.

cihensley@aol.com

Gary:

If you use a Mac, you can precisely size a card in Preview. I would guess a Windows based computer has the same capability, but I am not experienced with them.

Chuck

Ktownphoneco

John  ....    I use an HP InkJet printer, and it works fine, but there's something you might want to try with the cards once you print them off on your laser printer.    Generally I print several of any given number card on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white business card stock.     After the sheet is printed, I "raid" my wife's supply of waxed paper, placing suitably sized piece over top of the printed side of the card stock.     I then place an 8.5" x 11" plain letter paper over the waxed paper and use an old electric iron, and iron over the entire sheet. 
It makes the "black" ink appear a little darker, and seals in the ink on the paper.      I had initially thought it might make the finished surface of the number cards too "waxy", and causing marks if anything were to brush across the card's surface, but it doesn't.    I'm assuming that there isn't enough wax on the waxed paper to create this sort of problem.     
Personally, I like the look the waxed paper gives each number card on the sheet.    But I have no idea how the process will affect cards printed with a laser printer.

Jeff

Dan/Panther

When I do decals, I spray a clear coat over them. At first a very light mist to give a tack coat. Then another coat to seal it all in. The colors darken, and are sealed for good. If gloss is too shiny, use semi gloss. I use Deft Clear lacquer.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

TelePlay

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on March 15, 2017, 11:53:49 AM
I use an HP InkJet printer, and it works fine, but there's something you might want to try with the cards once you print them off on your laser printer.    Generally I print several of any given number card on an 8.5" x 11" sheet of white business card stock.     After the sheet is printed, I "raid" my wife's supply of waxed paper, placing suitably sized piece over top of the printed side of the card stock.     I then place an 8.5" x 11" plain letter paper over the waxed paper and use an old electric iron, and iron over the entire sheet. 
It makes the "black" ink appear a little darker, and seals in the ink on the paper.      I had initially thought it might make the finished surface of the number cards too "waxy", and causing marks if anything were to brush across the card's surface, but it doesn't.    I'm assuming that there isn't enough wax on the waxed paper to create this sort of problem.     
Personally, I like the look the waxed paper gives each number card on the sheet.    But I have no idea how the process will affect cards printed with a laser printer.

Checked it out tonight. But, first thing I noticed is that the same number card printed on 24# paper does  not rub off so it must be the card stock being too thick for the fuser to heat it up fully to set the toner on the card-stock.

Cut out 8 numbers in 2" x 2" size, cut 8 pieces of wax paper same size. Put one paper towel on a flat wood cutting board and cut a couple of 2x2 pieced of paper tower to cover the wax paper which was placed on top of the wax paper before applying the iron. Here's what I found out for number cards printed on my laser-jet.

1 - no heat, black came off by rubbing my finger over the card
2 - put a card between the towels (no wax) and ironed at lowest setting (nylon, about 185 F) - did not rub off
3 - put a piece of wax paper on another card and ironed it at 185 F - did not rub off and had a very low shine on the black
4 - repeated the process at the next higher setting (acrylic/silk, about 215 F) - had a bit more shine and wax paper stuck just a bit
5 - repeated the process at the next higher setting (polyester, about 265 F) - paper stuck more and just slightly pulled some black off
6 - repeated at the next higher setting (wool, about 300 F) - paper stuck tightly and removed toner when peeled off ruining the card

So, just a iron on low (about 200 F) will set the toner by itself but using wax paper at that temperature gives it a nicer look.

One thing I did notice was that the whole iron did not heat up to temperature. The center about 2" down from the point was the area of highest temperature at all settings. I thought the heat area would be larger but that's the way the iron I used works so that's the area of the iron I made sure stayed in contact with the paper for about 15 seconds keeping the iron moving. Did not scorch the paper at 300 F and 15 seconds.

twocvbloke

I found with my HP Colour Laser printer that some card stock would also not fuse properly (and deposit the printout on the innards of the printer!), I looked through the printer's settings via its web interface and found I could adjust the fuser heat up in increments for certain paper types, so I pushed it up for the cardstock profile I was using until it properly fused, and now it prints out perfectly on the card I have so long as it's set to that porfile, so may well be worth looking at your printers' settings for something similar... :)

Pourme

What I'd like to know is how to print the perfect size without trial and error, wasting sheet after sheet of paper and toner...

That is the reason I liked the number card printer web site that no longer works, as mentioned above.
Benny

TelePlay

I create the card at about 6" in diameter at 600 dpi.

To print, I crop the image so the circle is edge to edge in my image.

I then resize the image so that it is 1.5" in diameter (1.5 x 1.5 inch square).

I then select that image and copy it and paste it into a new white blank image file that is 8" x 10" as many times as I want (I can do up to 4 wide columns by 6 long rows on one sheet 8.5 x 11 sheet).

I then print using 100% size setting on the printer).

Now, I use wax paper the sheet as in my last reply using 200 F.

I cut the cards out into 2" x 2" squares and use a 1.5" circle punch to make it round.

I cut out the notch on WE cards using a sharp exacto knife.

That works for me.

Babybearjs

Frank Harrell has a Excel spreadsheet for the newer phones... his site... bellsystempractices.org check it out if you need the regular number cards for the 2500 series phones....
John