"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally Got A WECO 555

Started by Fabius, May 10, 2017, 06:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 20, 2017, 10:50:58 PM
Hopefully these are better pictures. Notice on the MISC block that some of the lugs are strapped together. Also the cable has two leads connected to the metal frame on the right. The connector attached to the cable that is wired down on the MISC block is the exact same type that is from the dial assembly.

Thanks for all the help.
You're welcome. 

Yes, some terminals need to be strapped together.  That's shown in the SD figure I cited earlier.  Do you have that SD?  Sooner or later you will need it and probably 66521-01 too.   

A switchboard framework needs to be grounded for safety so that a cross with a voltage source or leakage cannot create a safety hazard and also often it gets rid of crosstalk which may occur if the framework floats.  But see further comments near the end of this msg.

Yes, the connector on the end of the cable is the same type but 8 pins instead of 10.  Cinch-Jones 308 and 310 respectively, still being made I think by Beau or someone else.  Full part #s have prefix letters P or S for plug or socket and suffix letters indicating whether they are chassis mount (e.g. "AB" for angle bracket) or cable mount and the orientation of the hood cable exit hole.  Should be easy to find if you prefer to maintain connectorization of the power connections.

In Reply #44 I wrote: Page G2 Fig. 54 shows battery and ground terminations on the MISC. terminal strip:
BAT = term's 1, 2, 3 & 4
GRD = term's 45, 46, 47 & 48
+/- RINGING = term 22
RINGING GRD  = term 24

I see a heavy gauge RD lead on BAT term. 4.  Belden made some cables which had two 18AWG conductors (RD & BK) with the rest were 22AWG.  This appears to be that type of cable. 

BK appears to be connected to 36.  36 is the CC lead to the charge/discharge control circuit, something used when switchboards operated from storage batteries float charged over cable pairs from the CO.  This makes no sense.

OR is on 21 which is the terminal on which the internal factory wiring harness lead for the ringing feed to the internal resistance lamp terminates.  The feed from the ringing source is supposed to terminate on 20 with a strap between 20 & 21 so that ringing can be disconnected if necessary by removing the strap rather than having a lead with ringing on it not tied down to a terminal.

WH is on 25 which is the load side of the ringing lamp.  Various options call for it to be strapped to other terminals but no external lead connections.  This makes no sense, at least not for a single swbd. position as the power input cable.

GN & BR? are on the frame.  An arbitrary choice, neither right nor wrong.

YL, BL, VI are dead ended.

12 & 16 are strapped - as they should be.

24, 28 & 32 are strapped - ditto

25 & 29 are strapped - ditto

35 & 38 are strapped - this does not match the SD.  The SD shows 37 & 38 strapped.  Terminal 35 feeds a ground to the CO trunk circuits in the left and right panels and is fed from an external building or CO ground.

38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 are strapped together on the factory side of the TS.  40 also terminates a lead to the framework so there is no reason to be tying cable leads to screws on the framework.

You really need to get yourself SD-66520-01 and look at pG2 Fig. 54.  There is a limit to how much I can recap here.  The PDF is readily available.

Fabius

Okay, I'll check out the SD.

Is the TEL (the one on the fare left) module missing anything?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 21, 2017, 11:40:56 PM
Okay, I'll check out the SD.

Is the TEL (the one on the far left) module missing anything?
Apparently not.  There is an 8 contact C-J plug on the back for grouping 2 positions but I believe it's optional.

2 U/UA type flat relays and one coil at the bottom is correct as far as I can see from the back photo.  The front has a number of coils but I cannot see them in the back photo so cannot say, but probably is complete.  A TT dial however requires a special appliqué ckt to be added.

The apparatus sheets of the SD will certainly allow you to confirm whether it's complete.

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

trainman

It looks like someone went and just tied all the grounds together for the outside circuits that would have had wires run from a distant place.  So, just connect Battery, Ground, and Ringing to the specified terminals and you will be fine

Fabius

Quote from: trainman on June 23, 2017, 11:12:50 AM
It looks like someone went and just tied all the grounds together for the outside circuits that would have had wires run from a distant place.  So, just connect Battery, Ground, and Ringing to the specified terminals and you will be fine

I'll be doing that soon. I'm going to read the documentation then connect the power supply. First I got to make sure I have the fire extinguishers in place.

Since this board appears to be built in 1972 I assume the room phones were a
non-dial 500 set. Is there a certain model designation I should look for?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 23, 2017, 11:25:32 PM
I'll be doing that soon. I'm going to read the documentation then connect the power supply. First I got to make sure I have the fire extinguishers in place.

Fuses would work just as well or better than fire extinguishers.   ;D  And the power supply you bought is probably short circuit protected anyway.

Dates of manufacture are marked on the relay coil spool headers along with a mfg location code.  Cords have a date on the strain relief band at the terminal board end.

What do you mean by "certain model designation"?  The code for a manual 500 set?  That would be 500C or 500CR (retractile cord) or 500D/DR with dial.  They're actually marked C/D 500 on the bottom.

Phones with a message waiting lamp would be 500W/Y, 500W being manual and 500Y being dial.  I have to confess that I have never given any thought to the use of message waiting sets with a manual switchboard.  I have to assume it was done with a separate cabinet with a twist or push/pull key per room to control the MW lamp.  This is how it was done with dial PBXs in hospitality establishments. 

The MW lamp is a neon.  To light it the ground side of the loop at the normal contact of the jack would be switched by the key to a sufficiently + voltage so the total voltage across the loop in an idle state (before a plug is inserted) exceeds the 90VDC required to fire a neon lamp.  On dial PBXs -48V on the Ring & +48V on the tip meets the requirement.  The current through the neon lamp is too low to operate a line relay or light the LINE lamp until the handset is lifted.

unbeldi

Quote from: Fabius on June 23, 2017, 11:25:32 PM

The PBX is not exclusively intended for manual telephone sets.  The PBX has through-dialing capabilities.   Any station can request from the attendant to just get a central office trunk for direct dialing by the station user.  This is also required for night connections, when the switchboard power is off.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: unbeldi on June 24, 2017, 09:39:59 AM
The PBX is not exclusively intended for manual telephone sets.  The PBX has through-dialing capabilities.   Any station can request from the attendant to just get a central office trunk for direct dialing by the station user.  This is also required for night connections, when the switchboard power is off.
Of course.  But in a hospitality setting only phones in the company's offices would be allowed to through-dial.  Room phones would be manual.

His question about what specific type of phone he was asking for the model # designation of is not clear so no one can answer it with certainty.  I suppose he probably knows the designation of dial type 500 sets.

Fabius

Quote from: Alex G. Bell on June 24, 2017, 11:32:25 AM

His question about what specific type of phone he was asking for the model # designation of is not clear so no one can answer it with certainty.  I suppose he probably knows the designation of dial type 500 sets.

Not being knowledgeable about 500 sets I was wondering how a manual set for use on a PBX would be marked.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Fabius on June 24, 2017, 02:57:32 PM
Not being knowledgeable about 500 sets I was wondering how a manual set for use on a PBX would be marked.
OK.  That's what I supposed and stated in my first reply to your question, #68.

trainman

Basically what someone did when they added that connector for the power supply was, they tied each and every ground together and ran it to the frame. they did that for ease of connection. And connected battery to terminal 4.  so, basically you could just connect battery terminal 4, ground to the frame and it will work. and connect ringing current to the approproate terminals

Fabius

Okay. I hope to fire it up soon. I'll just use a regular 500 or 302 set to test transmission  and ringing.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

trainman

One Tip. Clean the contacts of both Ringing keys on each cord unit.  If you find when you plug in, your supervisory lights dont act the way they should, or you cant hear or transmit from an extension, start here. Tip and Ring go through these contacts on the way to the cord plug. It took me a while, but when i was troubleshooting my board, I found dirty contacts on the Ringing key causes all sorts of problems.