and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic PBX : Think this'll work?

Started by George Knighton, January 09, 2013, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Quote from: George Knighton on January 15, 2013, 09:51:13 AM
Thank you!

You were all right.  This is going to be fun and open up a lot of possibilities.

Hmmm.   If the whole house is running off of Ext 11, will an incoming call on any CO cause all phones to ring?

I believe that the limit is two industry standard single line phones per extension port. You can always experiment to see.

The best idea would be to "home run" each room to the KSU so that each room would have its own extension number. How many pairs do you currently have in each jack and are they all in parallel now?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Owain

Quote from: poplar1 on January 15, 2013, 11:04:36 AM
Hmmm.   If the whole house is running off of Ext 11, will an incoming call on any CO cause all phones to ring?

I believe that the limit is two industry standard single line phones per extension port. You can always experiment to see.

But don't experiment too much as if you blow the ringing generator(s) in the PBX they won't be replaceable.

twocvbloke

Quote from: George Knighton on January 15, 2013, 09:51:13 AMHmmm.   If the whole house is running off of Ext 11, will an incoming call on any CO cause all phones to ring?

In the default programming, yes, but you can reprogram it (with the appropriate systemphone) to set up calling groups or whatever it's called, so that when CO1 rings, it will ring specific extensions, so if you had 4 phones in service in your house, you could use extenstions 11 thru 14 and have only them ring when CO1 rings... :)

It truly is a versatile phone system once you fathom out the programming instructions... :D

poplar1

Quote from: Owain on January 15, 2013, 12:21:38 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on January 15, 2013, 11:04:36 AM

But don't experiment too much as if you blow the ringing generator(s) in the PBX they won't be replaceable.

Someone please check the manual. The intent may have been to have one ringer + one electronic multi-line set on the same port.

Greg G.

I only have one incoming line on my 308, but just for kicks and giggles, I plugged the one line into CO2, dialed 82, and I got a dial tone.  However, with it still on CO2, when I dialed 9, I got nothing, just silence.  Same with CO3.  But if on CO1, dialing 9 will get me a dial tone.  So with the 308 at least, if it's plugged into anything but CO1, you have to dial 8(X) depending on which CO the incoming line is plugged into.  Mine is set to default settings.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

As poplar1 mentioned earlier, dialling 9 will have the system open the first free line, so if CO1 is unused, even if it's disconnected, it'll open that port first regardless... :)

Recalling when I was working and using a 308, there was one line which wasn't in the greatest condition and I always knew when I got it cos it seemed to have mains hum on it, occasionally with the odd crackle depending on the weather, didn't always get it, it was just pot luck with whichever line was free when hitting 9, or which line was ringing when a customer called... :D

George Knighton

Finally got out to the demarcation and looked at the connections.

There are five pair of wires at the network connection box, and there are seven jacks in the house.

Now I guess I have to think about how to get the main wire into the house.  :-)  This is a fairly modern house put up in a country town in 2005.  I don't know why it doesn't have modular connections at the network, but it doesn't. 

I'll have to figure out some way to have an extension from the main network line into the basement.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

That or switch to a non-POTS provider, of course.
Annoying new poster.

poplar1

Quote from: George Knighton on January 20, 2013, 09:27:24 AM

There are five pair of wires at the network connection box, and there are seven jacks in the house.

Now I guess I have to think about how to get the main wire into the house.  :-)  This is a fairly modern house put up in a country town in 2005.  I don't know why it doesn't have modular connections at the network, but it doesn't. 

I'll have to figure out some way to have an extension from the main network line into the basement.

George, are you saying that the house is wired with 5-pair wire in a loop or that there are 5 different station wires going to the network interface?

Is the NID on the outside of the house?

George Knighton

Quote from: poplar1 on January 20, 2013, 04:07:29 PM
Quote from: George Knighton on January 20, 2013, 09:27:24 AM

George, are you saying that the house is wired with 5-pair wire in a loop or that there are 5 different station wires going to the network interface?

Is the NID on the outside of the house?

There are five separate pairs of blue and whites, so five stations.

The NID is mounted outside, but it is not modular.
Annoying new poster.