News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to fix a Contempra phone dial

Started by Contempra, October 09, 2013, 07:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

Hi all. Yesterday I bought a Contempra telephone and so I am on my second phone of its kind. However, I do not know how to disassemble and reassemble the dial. Is one of you know how to do please

Here is 2 pictures on the internet. They are identical to my two Contempra and also the same color

The one I bought is the Beige Contempra and its a 1969 and it works great..just a problem, a little plastic piece for the ringer was too dry and I broke it but the ringer's working,........I paid $3 for this phone

The other one, Brown about 70's works well. $5 a year ago..

Contempra

hi to all...

No one knows how to remove a dial on a contempra phone ? :(

I don't want to brake anything on my phones.. thank you in advance.

poplar1

Bell Canada: 502-321-910CA

4.02 (page 422)
5.02  (page 424)
5.06  (page 425)

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/10274-502-321-910ca-id

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on October 10, 2013, 10:04:13 PM
Bell Canada: 502-321-910CA

4.02 (page 422)
5.02  (page 424)
5.06  (page 425)

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/10274-502-321-910ca-id

oh merci j'avais pas pensé d'aller voir ce site...;)

gpo706

Thanks for the BSP's, I have 2 - dull brown and vibrant orange.

Both work A-OK, but the manual is a great help.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

DNO

ditto...thanks for the BSP!

I have 4 Contempras.  I quite like the design.  The three dial versions I have work quite well while my one touch-tone just won't break dial tone.  
David

G-Man

Quote from: DNO on October 13, 2013, 07:21:56 PM

I have 4 Contempras.  I quite like the design.  The three dial versions I have work quite well while my one touch-tone just won't break dial tone.  

Do you hear tones when you press the buttons or just a clicking sound?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall if Contempras have polarity guards but have you tried reversing the polarity by swapping the red and green wires?

Contempra

Quote from: gpo706 on October 13, 2013, 02:10:43 PM

lol. you don't like your Brown contempra ?...Mine is in a great shape. However, my avatar is orange but i've no orange contempra. just a beige ( cream ) and a brown. Both work and I use them evreyday.:) keep your contemprasgpo706 ;)

EDIT : Hello all. I now have 8 Contempras .. A month ago i bought  ared one and today , for free an orange one ,The one I wanted so much ... the only two differences are: the first seven are all Nothern Telecom but the orange phone is Nothern Electric and has 5 wires to plug into the network. But the cord line, but I can not connect red, green etc. normally as I would on other networks or other phone models ... But if one of you had a drawing or A real photo to connect the wires, it would be better for me to read the pdf that does not inform me because it describes how to plug it when it came out of the factory in 1976 ... Unless I am wrong, It was necessary that I invert the red and green wires of their normal position ... open to suggestions. Sorry for the loooooooooong text .

Contempra

Quote from: G-Man on October 13, 2013, 08:09:50 PM
Quote from: DNO on October 13, 2013, 07:21:56 PM

Do you hear tones when you press the buttons or just a clicking sound?

Off the top of my head, I don't recall if Contempras have polarity guards but have you tried reversing the polarity by swapping the red and green wires?

if you tried the reversing the polarity and if this don't work, may be you will need to change de keypad. just my opinion ;)

G-Man

Quoteif you tried the reversing the polarity and if this don't work, may be you will need to change de keypad. just my opinion ;)

It's a bit premature to suggest replacing the dial.

Depending on the report back from DNO, there might be a couple of other things to try before spending money on another dial.

DNO

Sorry...I drifted off on my AE80 thread!

I haven't tried reversing polarity on the Contempra yet.  It's sort of sitting on the back burner.

As far as sounds, all I hear is dial tone.  Pushing the buttons has no effect at all...no clicks, nothing.
I have a Bell Finesse touch tone that was doing the same thing. I took it apart, blew the dust out and gave it a bit of a clean, and it is working now.  I will try the polarity approach, though.
David

gpo706

Quote from: Contempra on October 14, 2013, 09:57:24 AM

lol. you don't like your Brown contempra ?...Mine is in a great shape. However, my avatar is orange but i've no orange contempra. just a beige ( cream ) and a brown. Both work and I use them evreyday.:) keep your contemprasgpo706 ;)

Yes I'm keeping them both, very stylish phones, the brown one you can't find in a dim light though!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Quote from: gpo706 on October 15, 2013, 08:27:53 PMthe brown one you can't find in a dim light though!

Usually I can't find anything in a dim light, well, except my trimphone dial, which still has a dull glow on the go... :D

Contempra

Quote from: gpo706 on October 15, 2013, 08:27:53 PM
Quote from: Contempra on October 14, 2013, 09:57:24 AM

Yes I'm keeping them both, very stylish phones, the brown one you can't find in a dim light though!

hahahaha.. don't worry i use it in the kitchen... :D...But you have an orange Contempra, so I guess that you see well in the dark.  ;)