News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What model is this? -> AE 80E

Started by foots, May 09, 2009, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foots

I remember seeing one as a kid. I thinks its kind of cool, the seller Automatic Electric GTE. When were these made?
http://cgi.ebay.com/itm/140318526940
( dead link 02-28-22 )
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

benhutcherson

The one I have is marked on the bottom as being a "Model 80". They seem to be electronically identical to the more commonly known AE80, so presumably this is just a different/later cases style.

Dan/Panther

Would that be considered a transition to the push button style ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

foots

Thanks for shedding some light on that for me.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

phoneguy06

This is the AE 80E, successor to the 80, and manufactured from 1975-1986.

AET

I see these now and then, I'm going to get a couple colors of them just for completeness of the collection, but I'm kinda turned off by them, not very sleek.
- Tom

bingster

No, they're not very sleek at all.  I'm sure the design saved AE a lot of money over having to make two separate cases, one for rotary, one for TT, a la Western.  I was never terribly fond of Western's TT case for that reason, too. 
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

I have at least one of those.  I tried to sell them on eBay quite a while ago.  I think I started it at $3.00 and got no interest at all.  If someone wants it for the cost of shipping (I MAY have two)...you're welcome to it. I didn't tinker with it (them) at all so I don't know the condition as far as ringing.  If someone does have an interest I'll pull it out and see what's what.  Just send me a PM.

mienaichizu

yes it is an AE80E, I have one of this phone, although, not very sleek I believe AE manufacture this phones to match WE2500 model

In the first place I don't like these phones simply because in the first place, as many have said, its not very sleek, second, it seems it will broke down fast because most of the parts are made of plastic. It doesn't have a metal base, its plastic unlike WE2500. It also has a cardboard faceplate so it warps when exposed to high humidity.

In the long run, I'm starting to like it, it has also a nice ringing sound.