News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Which key set to use, DTMF or Rotary? . . . . that is the question

Started by Babybearjs, March 22, 2019, 05:17:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

::) as I continue to indulge in multi-line phones, I have come upon a ITT 2830 and what was a WE 2833.  I rummaged through my parts and found the dial that I had... from a from a 851... and put it on the 2833... which is now a 833 (or a 830, since I removed the privacy board and amplifier that it came with...) so now, I'm left with 2 phones... the 2830 with a rotary adjunct dial, or the 830 with a ATC Teledialer 32 TT version memory dialer. so... which one would you choose, or would you? Custom phones are so much fun to work on... that is... if I ever get the energy to sit down and wire them up....
John

RB

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Of course! This is the Classis ROTARY Phones Forum, after all ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Babybearjs

its so hard to choose... but the rotary seems to be pretty popular... and of course, I can still get my messages through a TT adapter , autodialer, etc... now, its just a matter of putting everything back together... Uhg!
John

Key2871

John, everything I have in key sets is tone, but I find myself leaning back towards rotary. If I had rotary keys sets I'd go back to at least one. I don't use phones much anymore except the key in the summer months, and I would go with at least one or two myself. As you said, you can always use a tone adapter. Or have a tone set at your desk or something.

Ken
KEN

Babybearjs

Ken, yeh I agree... the main reason I asked was because I have the 2833 that can be converted to the 833... (I have both plates) all my phones in the house are rotary except in the office where I have a 2565 installed with a rotary adjunct dial. The rotary is basically for my ICM- a 207C KTU in my system.  so I wanted people opinions on the options available. rotary with adjunct touch-tone or touch-tone with rotary... anyway, everyone loves rotary, so.... that's probably what I'll go with. I have a teledialer 32T that I can Plug into the phone for tone dialing.
John

Key2871

I try to keep the sets original if it was rotary to start with, keep it that way. If you didn't, but want to make it rotary do that. But again if it's supposed to be a certain way try to keep it that way.
You got a comkey set to use as a regular 1A2, if that has better plastics, go with that. I used to build customer sets, but tried to keep western with western, etc.
I made a 2832 into a 2830, with the top key modified to be a BLF to show sets off hook, I still have the key with 24 volt lamps installed, but I made a smaller custom housing that I could mount to the wall with a cord to connect up to the system. I think I'll take a shot of it tomorrow to show it, it came out pretty well.
Anyway, the point was I try to keep things as they were supposed to be. Makes it easier for working on it if trouble should happen.
KEN

HowardPgh

The rotary set looks classic and cooler.  The push button one looks sorta boring.
Howard