News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turquoise '64 500

Started by finlover, September 23, 2009, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finlover

I get the feeling Dan doesn't like me or the horse I rode in on...

Jester

Who'd have anything against '59 Oldsmobiles?  Or did you switch horses on us?
Stephen

finlover

No way--I couldn't get rid of Old Paint!

Dan/Panther

Finlover;
Hold it a minute, I love horses...... :o :o :o ;D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Greg G.

I would call the color the sky blue or baby blue.  Still a nice phone though, regardless of what you want to call the color.  Hope it fetches a good price for you.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

finlover

Thanks, Brinybay,

If I were savvy enough with photo editing I'd correct the color.

HobieSport

Quote from: finlover
If I were savvy enough with photo editing I'd correct the color.

Wellsirs, as has been much discussed already, depicting the blue phones (aqua vs turquoise especially) in photos on computer screens (and in print too, I imagine) is really tricky. I don't have good examples of the two colors of phones in front of me to compare, but I do have some experience in fine art reproduction/printing/color matching. When I want to really match a color on the screen, I put the art (or in this case a phone) right next to my monitor, in soft natural light, and adjust the colors to match the photos as best I can. Of course all monitors are a little different, and the photos of the phones could vary greatly depending on the light. It's a science, but with so many variables, it really has to just be done by eye, I guess. (And for that matter, the human eye from one person to another can vary...)

Just out of curiosity, Finlover, what imaging software are you using? And could you maybe post the two colors of phones side by side in the same photo in whatever lighting you regularly use for your eBay photos sometime? That might give me/us a better idea of the subtle color differences and maybe give an idea of how to help adjust the color. I just say "maybe" though, because I don't know if anything can really be done to improve things here (Hey, your photos always look great anyway!) but it might be worth experimenting with the colors with some fine color tuning.

Just a thought.
-Matt

Dan/Panther

Finlover;

All joking aside,
If you do good work, the creme will rise.

D/P ;)

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Quote from: HobieSport on September 24, 2009, 12:55:41 PM...could you maybe post the two colors of phones side by side in the same photo in whatever lighting you regularly use for your eBay photos sometime? That might give me/us a better idea of the subtle color differences and maybe give an idea of how to help adjust the color

Dennis posted some excellent photos that show the difference if it helps:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=530.0
= DARRIN =

finlover

Quote from: Dan/Panther on September 24, 2009, 01:27:20 PM
Finlover;

All joking aside,
If you do good work, the creme will rise.

D/P ;)
Thanks, D/P, ;D
I never really know how my auctions will turn out.  Sometimes I put a lot of work into restoring and describing a phone and it just fizzles.  Other times I don't expect much and it brings stupid money.  Unlike most of my offerings, the turquoise may actually be worth something to a collector.   We'll see...

finlover

Thanks for your advice, Hobie!  I'm using as ancient program called L View, which is really limited.  I use it mostly for cropping and resizing.  If it helps, here's a link to a previous listing for an aqua phone.  If you compare it to the turquoise one you can really see the difference.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190325986940&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

HobieSport

Finlover, I use an imaging program called GIMP, it has complete color control, just like Photoshop, and it's free:

http://www.gimp.org/

But like I say, your pictures already look enviably great and the colors look great too, even though I've never seen a pristine aqua and a turquoise side by side in person.

Would it be okay with you if I copied and pasted your photos from your eBay ads of the two colors side by side on this thread just for fun?

I hope you get good bucks for the turquoise '64, hopefully from a real collector who appreciates it's real value.

By the way, I love it when you let us know when you have a new phone on eBay. It's not "tooting your own horn" (or "touting your own phone"?) to me at all. It's just a great education for a newbie like me who wants to sell on eBay. I try not to copy your wording in the descriptions, but the basic spirit of it all is an inspiration. The only thing is, I don't get to use the nifty colored fonts to match the phone. Well...I do, but they're black.  ;)
-Matt

finlover

Quote from: HobieSport on September 24, 2009, 03:45:37 PM
Would it be okay with you if I copied and pasted your photos from your eBay ads of the two colors side by side on this thread just for fun?
By all means, Hobie, post away!  Thanks for the link to the program, I can't wait to try it.

I'll be happy to let everyone know when I list a phone, as long as nobody gets annoyed by it.  Maybe my next one will have better pictures thanks to you! :)

finlover

This should give a rough idea.

Dennis Markham

Those both look the same here, with the second photo being a tad darker.