News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

--HELP-- How to access wires in E1 handset?

Started by Telephones_etc, January 28, 2019, 04:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephones_etc

Hello fellow CRPF'ers, just got an early 302 w/E1 handset, but I need to know how to get to the wiring. I know that on an F1 you just unscrew the microphone cover and there it is. But how do you do this on an E1? As soon as you take the microphone cover off, you're met by an aluminum cap with the terminals. Is there another 'layer' you have to unscrew? There are, however, two small holes on the sides of the lower cap. Are they a couple of set screws or a pin? (see pics)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Telephones_etc  :)
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

Key2871

A small strap wrench comes in handy to get parts loose try that on the rest remaining. Hot water sometimes helps to get things moving.
Those holes are for the tool that is used to get stubborn parts off.
KEN

paul-f

Quote from: Telephones_etc on January 28, 2019, 04:18:40 PM
Is there another 'layer' you have to unscrew? There are, however, two small holes on the sides of the lower cap. Are they a couple of set screws or a pin? (see pics)

Yes.

There's lots more info available on regarding the components on the forum, in the TCI Library and elsewhere. Here are some examples:

http://www.paul-f.com/weHandsets.html#Parts

BSP C32.203 - search in the Library or try this link:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/bsps-bell-system/most-popular/c32-telephone-sets/3294-c32-203-i8-aug55-handsets-description-e-style-and-f-style-tl/file

The small holes fit special handset removal tools:http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20895.0
They can be risky to use on old bakelite that's quite brittle. Strap wrenches may be more gentle. Search for topics on handset cap removal.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Butch Harlow

I have put the entire handset in a gallon ziploc, removed as much air as possible and submerged in very warm water for a little while and STILL had to use the strapwrench. Kobalt (Lowe's) makes a nice 2 wrench set. The rubber strap is desirable for grip. They can be very stubborn.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

I've had several over the years that were killers to get loose..
KEN

Bob S

I bought this strap wrench on Amazon 
Flui-PRO Heavy-Duty Rubber Strap Wrench (6-inch) with Locking Non-Slip Grip (Multi-Purpose)
Sold by: Market Street Supply

$6.89 shipping included Prime

HarrySmith

You may find you will need 2 of them. Try using it along with heat, either a heat gun, hair dryer or the hot water method mentioned earlier.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Telephones_etc

Quote from: paul-f on January 28, 2019, 06:01:50 PMThe small holes fit special handset removal tools:http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20895.0
They can be risky to use on old bakelite that's quite brittle. Strap wrenches may be more gentle. Search for topics on handset cap removal.

I saw the diagram. Do I unscrew the transmitter case, or the locking ring? I'm thinking that the locking ring might come off after the transmitter case.

Thanks,
Telephones_etc
"The day will come when the man at the telephone will be able to see the distant person to whom he is speaking."

-Alexander Graham Bell

Ktownphoneco

I would have liked to give you a better picture of how the parts of the transmitter go together n an E-1, but this is the best I could find at the moment.    The parts disassemble "1" first, "2" second etc., etc.,      As has been suggested, stick with strap wrenches to take it apart.       The original, or reproduction pin wrenches that inserted into the small holes you see on the various parts are a recipe for a disaster.  As has been mentioned, they've claimed their fair share of Bakelite chips.   Be careful even with the strap wrenches.    The handles usually have a knob or raised area on them that acts as a fulcrum on the strap wrench.    The aluminum transmitter housings are fairly soft by comparison with other metals, and too much force on a strap wrench can cause the fulcrum to push the strap portion of the wrench into the transmitter housing.   At that point, the housing will no longer be a perfectly round housing.   It'll end up making things difficult when you start to re-assemble the handset.     Good luck.      Picture attached. Click and double click to enlarge.

Jeff  Lamb

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I had this saved from a WE catalog, took a bit of time to find it. An adjunct image to Jeff's post just above this. Same image as one in paul'f's post above.