News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Labor Day weekend - Ebay prices

Started by wds, September 08, 2011, 12:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Did anyone notice how cheap some of the phones went for last weekend on Ebay?  I watched several very nice phones go for about half what they normally would have sold for - I wonder if maybe everyone was off doing other things instead of watching Ebay.  I took advantage of the low prices and picked up another great deal -  a 51al, 323 transmitter, 2AB dial with NO notch, original cords, and felt on the bottom that almost looks like new.  $132.  I had already spent my allowance for the week, so I didn't pick up much else, but couldn't let this one slip threw my fingers.  I think I'll save up my allowance for the next holiday and hope no-one is watching ebay again!
Dave

Russ Kirk

My guess is most buyers were doing other things. i remember when I was selling on eBay to avoid closing on holidays, certain days of the week and certain times of the day.  It is all about timing.   Some of my best buys were when a seller lists the auction to end in the middle of the night.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

bigdaddylove

Hehe, I was watching that auction, Russ and even thought about bidding. However, I've already spent too much these last two months compounded by a very small paycheck for this month and next.  :'(

The timing thing can cut both ways.

I was watching an auctioneer with two D1s. He had a green D1 and a D1/E1 up for auction. They both looked very nice. He must have put it up at 4 or 5 in the morning his time because it ended at around 2:30am my time. I set an alarm and heard it go off, but I was too tired to get the phone and deal with whatever it was (I forgot about the phones). Needless to say both did not sell for the $50.00 starting bid. When they went up again, the sold for a bit more.

Then,  this last weekend, I missed out on a set of telephone scissors that went for around $35.00.  >:( That same weekend, I picked up a Panasonic 308 for $10.00. I guess in some ways, it always balances out in the end.

wds

Well, thanks for not bidding!  This one is a keeper - it's cleaning up real nice.  I think one of the reasons it went for so cheap was because the seller posted really bad pictures.  He also didn't answer all my questions.  
Dave

wds

I grabbed another 51 al last weekend, this time for $82.  2AB dial, no notch, transmitter marked *329*.  Of course I have a couple layers of yellow paint to remove, but otherwise seems in great shape.  My pile of phones to be refurbed has grown in the last couple of weeks, so it may be a while before I can post any "after" pictures. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

$82 for a 51 with a #2 dial!  How do you keep doing that?  The dial face plates usually go for more than that.

Larry

wds

I looked and looked at the pictures, and although there weren't any good shots of the dial, I didn't see that shadow or notch by the fingerstop, so I took a chance.  Of course if I paid myself by the hour to clean the phone up, I would lose my shirt on this one.  I think I'll keep the dial and sell the phone.
Dave

wds

This one cleaned up really nice.  Some paint loss on the transmitter, but otherwise I managed to save the old finish.  The dial is headed to a different phone.  Brass fingerwheel, and a nickel fingerstop under that crud.
Dave

Wallphone

Nice job Dave, it looks real nice! Are you sure you didn't paint it too?  ;) What do you use that green can of Turtle Wax Polishing Compound on? I have some but don't know where it fits in with the process. Do you use it before Novus #2?
Doug Pav

wds

Original paint - you can see wear on the hook arm, and the perch, but otherwise it polished up real nice.  I was careful while stripping the old yellow paint not to scrub too hard.  I use the polishing compound on all the metal paint, and bakelite pieces.  I only use the novus on the newer plastic phones.  I'll throw in a picture of the back of the phone.
Dave

Wallphone

Thanks for the info on the Polishing Compound, I'll have to try the stuff out.
Doug Pav

wds

Hey - I know you!  I didn't recognize the "Wallphone" handle.  Thanks for the complement.  That polishing compound is good stuff.  In other postings I always say to rub the polish (especially on bakelite) in one area, then reapply until the rag your using goes from black to brown then just dirty.  Bakelite seems to soak up more dirt over the years than painted metal.  
Dave

Dennis Markham

Nice job, Dave.  It looks great.  You must have put that project to the front of the line.

GG

Excellent work!  IMHO the transmitter face will look equally good whether you strip it to bare metal the rest of the way and leave it that way, or repaint it black.