"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Oldphoneworks - We Want Your Feedback

Started by mazda_matt, November 17, 2016, 12:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mazda_matt

Good day fellow telephone collectors.

If you have dealt with Oldphoneworks in the past year and a bit, you have likely talked or had email conversations with myself. My name is Matt and I am the current manager at Oldphoneworks. I have had the pleasure of working here for a little over 5 years now and learnt a great deal about antique telephones. Over the past year I have implemented a few new additions to the way shipping is handled by offering new shipping options. I know shipping costs are always the worst part about shopping online and I have been able to work out a deal with the post office to allow bubble envelope shipping at a great rate for our US and Canadian customers. Shipping is still calculated on a per item basis, so if i have missed something that you think can fit in an envelope just let me know.

We recently updated our website to a new version of the same platform. This allowed us to really spruce up the site and make it more user friendly. We are still working out a few more bugs, but overall I am happy with the new look and feel.

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/

I have also been much more active on eBay lately, where you can find a lot of our great products with even cheaper and sometimes free shipping.

What we need is your feedback on how we can better serve you. Let me know in this thread, a PM or via email at oldphoneguy@oldphoneworks.com. We are also available by phone 1-800-843-1320.

Thank you,

Matt Jennings

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

tallguy58

The site needs updating. You're still talking about a July Canada Post disruption and Holiday shipping deadlines for 2015.
Cheers........Bill

mazda_matt

Quote from: tallguy58 on November 17, 2016, 10:21:41 PM
The site needs updating. You're still talking about a July Canada Post disruption and Holiday shipping deadlines for 2015.

Thank you, I have gone ahead and updated the shipping information.
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

cloyd

Matt,
You have always dealt with me fairly and your email responses to my inquiries are quick and friendly.

I would like to see more reproduction parts offered that would allow collectors to mimic the real deal as closely as possible, especially for those parts that can't be found. Examples would be:  wire harnesses for candlestick phones (with correct colors and tracers), grommets, screws etc.

Also, your website has a "Parts for this phone" section which is very helpful but it doesn't differentiate between parts that simply fit vs. parts that are correct.

Hope this helps,

Tina Loyd
-- I am always doing what I cannot do yet, in order to learn how to do it. - Van Gogh -- 1885

mazda_matt

Quote from: cloyd on November 18, 2016, 01:20:18 PM
Matt,
You have always dealt with me fairly and your email responses to my inquiries are quick and friendly.

I would like to see more reproduction parts offered that would allow collectors to mimic the real deal as closely as possible, especially for those parts that can't be found. Examples would be:  wire harnesses for candlestick phones (with correct colors and tracers), grommets, screws etc.

Also, your website has a "Parts for this phone" section which is very helpful but it doesn't differentiate between parts that simply fit vs. parts that are correct.

Hope this helps,

Tina Loyd

Thank you Tina for your kind words.

Having reproductions parts is very important to us. It allows the customer to acquire parts that are either no longer available or out of their price range. Some parts require having an injection mold made and we usually need to have 1000's of parts made at a single time. So if the demand isn't there for a particular part, we can't justify having it made.

I will talk with Jeff (cord expert) and see what he can come up with for a candlestick wire harness. It will be a good project for him.

Screws are getting harder to come by, as most suppliers are slowly stopping production on slotted screws. We have had brass transmitter screws made in the past, but had to order something like 50,000 at a time. If you have any specific screws you would like to see, just let me know and I will try my best to source some out for you.

Thanks,
Matt Jennings

oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Phonesrfun

Running a small business is always a challenge, especially when you are dealing with many one of a kind and specialty items.  I have been in small businesses before, and I know the issues.  When you only have a handful of people in a company, it is so very hard to accomplish all the tasks.

My experience with OPW has been very good over the years.   Postage has been somewhat of an issue because I live in the US.  We just need to remember that in this age of instant gratification, we need to allow for the fact that we are dealing with two separate countries and their respective postal services and all the friggin red tape that goes with it.

I can only imagine what sort of headaches are involved in inventorying and cataloging all the parts from so many phones that you carry. 

I was so very happy that OPW took on the cord operations of Odis LeVrier. 

So, I say, keep up the good work.

-Bill
-Bill G

AL_as_needed

I have used several different versions of replacement cords from Old Phone Works and have been mostly happy with them. Specifically, your reproduction cloth covered cords I have  found to be perfect for a 302 project I did this past winter, look great, gets lots of compliments.

However, a new production black rubber coiled handset cord I received seems to have been in package for a very long time. So much so that when I installed it on a 5302 build, the rubber actually began to fall apart and break in multiple areas within a few uses.
TWinbrook7

poplar1

The first page used to show most popular items. Now all I get is a search box. Entering "cords", "handset cords", "receiver cords" --- all return same response:

"Warning. Sorry, your search returned no results. Try again with different criteria."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

Matt, I want to thank you and all the staff for a wonderful experience with purchasing replacement parts. The one thing I want to stress is with the dial centers. you offer the 2 line centers for just the AE dials, But not the WE. though you have more WE 2 line phones then AE. Please be sure to add the WE version of the 2 line dial centers to you inventory. I have several WE 410's that could use them. I also restore Key telephone sets, specifically the 440 and 460 series phones. it would be nice to see some designation strips for these phones, as well as for the 544 and 564 series phones. (which I also have)  I'd also like to see some price cuts on some items like the chrome and brass handset bands as well as the fingerwheels and dial center parts. I know these are custom, but I know I'd buy more if the prices were better. trimming out a WE/NE 300, 400 series phone in brass or chrome gets people looking. I've had several comments about this detail. I've dubbed to 400 series phones with the brass and chrome accents, the "Executive" series. anyway. for now I'm not doing any repairs or even purchasing on Ebay... but, you will still get my business when I need your help! Thank you again!  John
John

mazda_matt

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 20, 2016, 07:46:38 PM
Running a small business is always a challenge, especially when you are dealing with many one of a kind and specialty items.  I have been in small businesses before, and I know the issues.  When you only have a handful of people in a company, it is so very hard to accomplish all the tasks.

My experience with OPW has been very good over the years.   Postage has been somewhat of an issue because I live in the US.  We just need to remember that in this age of instant gratification, we need to allow for the fact that we are dealing with two separate countries and their respective postal services and all the friggin red tape that goes with it.

I can only imagine what sort of headaches are involved in inventorying and cataloging all the parts from so many phones that you carry. 

I was so very happy that OPW took on the cord operations of Odis LeVrier. 

So, I say, keep up the good work.

-Bill

Thank you for the kind words, I will pass them along to the team.

Yes, shipping is always terrible sending cross border. I do think its getting better though. We have a lot less lost packages lately and they also seem to get there before their scheduled time of delivery. If only shipping through a courier was cheaper in Canada. At the moment its roughly twice as much.

-Matt Jennings 
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: AL_as_needed on November 20, 2016, 08:27:39 PM
I have used several different versions of replacement cords from Old Phone Works and have been mostly happy with them. Specifically, your reproduction cloth covered cords I have  found to be perfect for a 302 project I did this past winter, look great, gets lots of compliments.

However, a new production black rubber coiled handset cord I received seems to have been in package for a very long time. So much so that when I installed it on a 5302 build, the rubber actually began to fall apart and break in multiple areas within a few uses.

Please email me at oldphoneguy@oldphoneworks.com with your shipping information and I mail you out a replacement.

Was the cord an NOS one or was it brand new reproduction?

Thanks,

Matt Jennings
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 20, 2016, 11:11:05 PM
Matt, I want to thank you and all the staff for a wonderful experience with purchasing replacement parts. The one thing I want to stress is with the dial centers. you offer the 2 line centers for just the AE dials, But not the WE. though you have more WE 2 line phones then AE. Please be sure to add the WE version of the 2 line dial centers to you inventory. I have several WE 410's that could use them. I also restore Key telephone sets, specifically the 440 and 460 series phones. it would be nice to see some designation strips for these phones, as well as for the 544 and 564 series phones. (which I also have)  I'd also like to see some price cuts on some items like the chrome and brass handset bands as well as the fingerwheels and dial center parts. I know these are custom, but I know I'd buy more if the prices were better. trimming out a WE/NE 300, 400 series phone in brass or chrome gets people looking. I've had several comments about this detail. I've dubbed to 400 series phones with the brass and chrome accents, the "Executive" series. anyway. for now I'm not doing any repairs or even purchasing on Ebay... but, you will still get my business when I need your help! Thank you again!  John

I have new dies getting made for the dial cards at the moment, so providing they haven't already printed the cards I will add the 2 line cards for WE to their list.

For what it would cost to have designation strips designed and a die made for them, it really wouldn't be financially worth it for you or us. Dies are typically $750.00 to have made. But I would really like to figure something out for that issue, I'll look into it.

I can do deals on the brass receiver bands with a quantity of 10 or more. With the price to have them made and getting parts plated, we aren't leaving a lot of room for profit for the chrome ones.

Thanks,
Matt Jennings
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: poplar1 on November 20, 2016, 10:17:12 PM
The first page used to show most popular items. Now all I get is a search box. Entering "cords", "handset cords", "receiver cords" --- all return same response:

"Warning. Sorry, your search returned no results. Try again with different criteria."

What browser are you currently using? For me, the homepage still shows 'Featured Products' at the bottom and a rotating banner at the top. Please follow this Linkoldphoneworks.com and let me know where that takes you.

Thanks,

Matt Jennings
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Russ Kirk

It was working a few days ago when I was looking at the prices for cords, but not now. I tried it in both Internet Explorer 11 and Firefox 45.3.0.   I found the same results as Popular1.  Also, some old 2011 ads are still appearing. Looks like a lot more work needs to be done on the web site.....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

AL_as_needed

Quote from: mazda_matt on November 21, 2016, 03:01:38 PM
Please email me at oldphoneguy@oldphoneworks.com with your shipping information and I mail you out a replacement.

Was the cord an NOS one or was it brand new reproduction?

Thanks,

Matt Jennings

It was a brand new production cord. The insulation and outer rubber were stiff or dried out (?) for whatever reason. I did use a NOS cord to replace it and have had no issues.
TWinbrook7