compubit

These just arrived in the mail today.

I was trying to figure out what to get for a personalized plate:
25PRCBL
WE 500
AE-90

Then it hit me!

Jim
(Feel free to move if this belongs elsewhere...)
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice! I've thought about personalized plates, but I'd rather spend the money on wax and tire gel... 8)

There are probably only about 100 people out there that would understand what that means. Post it on Facebook or any other form of social media, and I guarantee nobody would "get it". It's great to have a secret message on yiur license plates, isn't it? ;)

It's also a terrific way to weed out the phone collectors on the road! ;D

My pick would be: "MA5 2368". The "MAin" exchange is more formal to me. With the other number, I keep wondering what I'd do for a Klondike Bar! ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

compubit

Virginia has one ogle the highest percentages of personalized plates. Reason?

They cost $10 per year. That's it. So no Starbucks "Super Grande Whipped Caramel Frappuccino Macchiato Coffee" on 2 days, and they're paid for! I'll give up coffee, snacks and sodas, though, before I give up my "Phones on eBay" fix!

My former state, which shall rename nameless, but is home to America's second most annoying NFL team (Sorry, New England is #1 annoying in my book - not that I pay attention to any football above the high school level - and that's really only for the halftime marching band shows!) - it rhymes with Palace Now Toys - charges $195/year... talk about highway robbery!

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Butch Harlow

The other cool part is, its yours forever. You can keep it on your car and then decide you want it on your phone room wall instead and they'll never reissue it to another person. Later if you decide you want it again it can be reissued for you. I had Pez related VA plates that now reside in my living room. I like the "mountains to seashore" plate, it's one of the older designs, I had them in the '90's on a Volare wagon.
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

"(Sorry, New England is #1 annoying in my book - not that I pay attention to any football above the high school level"

:o
Kidphone

Babybearjs

Love it! never thought about using a phone number.... If I had to do that, mine would be ES7 2097. how's that for personalization!
John

Sargeguy

My plate is only 4 numbers, I guess that qualifies!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Quick question for those of us who can only have what the DVLA issues; If you get a custom plate in one state, does that mean it can't be issued in other states on their local plates, or can each state issue the same plate number, but differentiate between them by the plate being specific to that state?

Butch Harlow

Plates are done state by state. You can get the same plate in two different states as long as it's available and fits.
Butch Harlow

twocvbloke

Haf

twocvbloke

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 31, 2018, 06:37:24 PM
Quick question for those of us who can only have what the DVLA issues

if you're willing to pay (what I've seen up to 20k GBP for real special ones) you can ;)

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk

QuoteLooking for your ideal personalised number plate?

Since 1981 National Numbers has been the UK's favourite private number plate dealer, offering customers unique and exciting vehicle registration marks at a range of prices.
Our cheapest number plates start from as little as £136 (including all government fees), but we also carry premium dateless registrations - some of which are over 100 years old.
We also have 0% finance available for those looking to spread the cost of their new plate.

We have over 51 million registration plates for sale - the scope of which covers unissued Government stock, registrations from private sellers, and our own large range of stock number plates - our simple number plate search lets you find the car number plate you want. Names, numbers, initials... we've got matches for them all!
Have fun experimenting with searches until you find the combination that you're looking for, and if you can't find one you like our friendly staff will happily help you look.

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on January 31, 2018, 06:59:29 PM
Ah, okay then... :)

. . . and each state uses its own combination of letter, numbers, spaces, dashes and the total number of character and space/dash on a plate and then there is the background. Here are a few of the states, no two are similar. Cops like it that way for quick ID of out-of-state vehicles.

Haf

and don't forget the special ones...again, bit different from State to State.

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

twocvbloke

Quote from: Haf on January 31, 2018, 07:23:22 PM
twocvbloke

if you're willing to pay (what I've seen up to 20k GBP for real special ones) you can ;)

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk

Yeah, but those are what the DVLA says you can have, and it has to follow their formatting (ABC xxxD, Axxx BCD, CDxx ABC, etc.), rather than whatever you like, such as NCC 1701, can't have that here, at least not on a road-legal reg. plate, someone probably has NCC 170L though I'm sure, making the L out to look kind of like a 1...

TelePlay

Quote from: Haf on January 31, 2018, 07:33:06 PM
and don't forget the special ones...again, bit different from State to State.

Haf

There are 50 states each with their own regular plate, some states are transitioning from one style to another so they have two active regular plates and then there "other" plates. The total number of plates in any one state is way more than a few. Most states charge extra money above and beyond the regular plate for a special plate and the fee renewable each year at the same or higher rate so they are willing to design a new specialty group plate if the demand exists. It's a big can of worms, a real big can.

This is the list of special plates available in Wisconsin,  Amateur radio | ​Antique | Celebrate Children Foundation​ | Choose Life Wisconsin Inc. | Civil Air Patrol​ | Collector | Collector special | Cure childhood cancer | Disabled parking | Disabled veteran | Donate Life Wisconsin | Ducks Unlimited | Emergency Medical Services | Endangered resources | Ex-prisoner of war | Firefighter | Freemason | Gold Star | Golf Wisconsin | Green Bay Packers | Harley-Davidson/Share the road | Historic military vehicle | Hobbyist | ​​In God We Trust​​​​ | Lao Veteran​ | Law Enforcement Memorial | Lions Foundation | Marquette University​ | Medal of Honor | Military | Milwaukee Brewers | Milwaukee Bucks​ | Nurses change lives | Personalized | Rescue squad member | Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation | Sample |Scouting alumni | Special Group​​ | Trout Unlimited | University | U.S. Veteran motorcycle | Whitetails Unlimited | Wisconsin National Guard​ | Wisconsin Salutes Veterans​ | Wisconsin Women's Health Foundation​ limited only by the 7 characters or less allowed in Wisconsin. NCC-1701 would not be available here either, but NCC1701 would.