News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

I recently began going through my fathers collection. He was a bell worker for over 40 years. This is what I found today in his attic. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

Greg G.

What is this thing?

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
What is this thing?

Could it be???

Looks like the top of a Picturephone!

The photos look a bit "stretched".  A picturephone would be quite a catch, if that's what it is.
-Bill G

Dave F

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 12:30:18 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on November 18, 2012, 12:22:02 PM
What is this thing?

Could it be???

Looks like the top of a Picturephone!

The photos look a bit "stretched".  A picturephone would be quite a catch, if that's what it is.

Maureen,

Yes, it looks like an original Type 1 Picturephone display unit from 1964.  These are exceedingly rare: Only a few were made, and even fewer have survived.   A couple of years ago, one of these in terrible condition sold on eBay for $1400.00.  The one in your picture, Maureen, looks like it might be brand new.  If so, this one item in your collection could easily be worth $3000 to $5000 dollars (or more, on a good day)!

Do not let yourself get snookered by any selfish people who might want to rip you off.  DO NOT SELL EVERYTHING AT ONCE!  TAKE YOUR TIME!  EBay (or a similar public forum) is the best place to get fair and realistic prices for the wonderful things you have found.

Regards,

Dave F.

Addendum:  This unit, by itself, is not a complete Picturephone system.  There are other associated components, including a desktop keyboard unit, which are needed to make it work.  If you are lucky, maybe you also have some of the other components.

Later (Type 2) Picturephones were rectangular in shape and saw limited service in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  A working Type 2 system, with two complete sets of components, is worth about $10,000.  I don't know of a single complete and working Type 1 Picturephone system anywhere.  If you were to uncover all the parts for that, you would be able to eat at high-class restaurants every night for the rest of your life, and never need to cook another dinner!  So, keep searching!

DF

Phonesrfun

If that is the original packing crate/box, it would also add value to the item inside.  Judging from the photo, it looks like the styrofoam inserts are made just for the item in the box.  Any markings on the outside of the box?  Any signs of it being "NIB", "New In Box"?
-Bill G

MagicMo

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 18, 2012, 02:14:15 PM
If that is the original packing crate/box, it would also add value to the item inside.  Judging from the photo, it looks like the styrofoam inserts are made just for the item in the box.  Any markings on the outside of the box?  Any signs of it being "NIB", "New In Box"?
Hi,
This is a Picturephone, no doubt. My Father spoke about it before he passed away. It is in Mint condition. It is a display unit I believe. I have all the paperwork too for setting up the display (as big as a bible!) along with the phone part. Because of the angle of my dad's attic I was unable to take a good pic, but it is like new.

Greg G.

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 06:42:07 PM
Hi,
This is a Picturephone, no doubt. My Father spoke about it before he passed away. It is in Mint condition. It is a display unit I believe. I have all the paperwork too for setting up the display (as big as a bible!) along with the phone part. Because of the angle of my dad's attic I was unable to take a good pic, but it is like new.

Holy Carp!  :o
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

MagicMo

I have pictures of the boxes. One for the big unit and one for the desk unit. Please take a look.

DavePEI

Ok, so it is part of the Picture phone... That is a real gem.

Wonderful.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

I have no idea what this is. Any clue?? It is very heavy!!

MagicMo

Quote from: Dave F on November 18, 2012, 01:43:02 PM
Maureen,

Yes, it looks like an original Type 1 Picturephone display unit from 1964.  These are exceedingly rare: Only a few were made, and even fewer have survived.   A couple of years ago, one of these in terrible condition sold on eBay for $1400.00.  The one in your picture, Maureen, looks like it might be brand new.  If so, this one item in your collection could easily be worth $3000 to $5000 dollars (or more, on a good day)!

Do not let yourself get snookered by any selfish people who might want to rip you off.  DO NOT SELL EVERYTHING AT ONCE!  TAKE YOUR TIME!  EBay (or a similar public forum) is the best place to get fair and realistic prices for the wonderful things you have found.

Regards,

Dave F.

Addendum:  This unit, by itself, is not a complete Picturephone system.  There are other associated components, including a desktop keyboard unit, which are needed to make it work.  If you are lucky, maybe you also have some of the other components.

Later (Type 2) Picturephones were rectangular in shape and saw limited service in the late 1960s and early 1970s.  A working Type 2 system, with two complete sets of components, is worth about $10,000.  I don't know of a single complete and working Type 1 Picturephone system anywhere.  If you were to uncover all the parts for that, you would be able to eat at high-class restaurants every night for the rest of your life, and never need to cook another dinner!  So, keep searching!

DF

Dave,  Is my picturephone type 1? I have the complete set. Did you see the pics? Just curious.
Thanks,
Maureen

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 18, 2012, 08:59:00 PM
Maureen: From the picture and your "it's heavy" comment my guess would be a power supply. Does it have an AC cord coming out of it?

Yes, I think I remember a cord. Sorry I missed this post.

Dave F

Can you imagine being the lucky person who winds up with that amazing Picturephone in his/her collection?  Boy, oh boy (just thinking out loud)!

HarrySmith

WOW! This collection gets more and more amazing! This is what every one of us collectors (read addicts) dreams of finding!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dave F

Quote from: MagicMo on November 18, 2012, 09:49:46 PM

Dave,  Is my picturephone type 1? I have the complete set. Did you see the pics? Just curious.
Thanks,
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

I did indeed see the pictures.

Yes, it's a Type 1, super-duper rare.  In fact, there just might not be another one in that immaculate condition anywhere!  Certainly one of the best phone-finds I have ever seen.

Not likely, but maybe the gods will smile on me and I will end up with it in my collection.

Also, let me add my condolences on the loss of your father.  He's probably looking down and smiling with satisfaction at the good fortune he has left you!

Dave F.