News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I've joined the single-slot club

Started by mentalstampede, February 09, 2017, 03:48:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mentalstampede

Well, after acquiring a NE post-pay 3-slot, and (because I'm obviously a masochist) an AE touch-tone 3-slot, I have acquired a Western Electric 1D2. Mine was refurbished by Verizon in the late 90s and it sure looks nice. I got lucky and mine still has a legit Western Electric 32B chassis installed. It all appears to work, so I guess it's time for me to finally build a coin controller to make the relays do their thing.
My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

Jim Stettler

Quote from: mentalstampede on February 09, 2017, 03:48:18 PM
Well, after acquiring a NE post-pay 3-slot, and (because I'm obviously a masochist) an AE touch-tone 3-slot, I have acquired a Western Electric 1D2. Mine was refurbished by Verizon in the late 90s and it sure looks nice. I got lucky and mine still has a legit Western Electric 32B chassis installed. It all appears to work, so I guess it's time for me to finally build a coin controller to make the relays do their thing.
I think you need a "Phone from Car" sign for that phone. The engraved handset was used on Phone from car Phones, The handset cord is also longer for use from a car.

JMO,
Jim S.
I am not sure if the other Southwestern Bell  "Phone From" phones had long cords or not. I think horse and Boat phones may of.
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16255.msg168459#msg168459
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

mentalstampede

My name is Kenn, and I like telephones.

"Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something." --Robert Heinlein

mvtel

I have one that came out of service, I think from St. Louis with that embossed handset with a standard length cord.  My phone isn't black it is in chrome.