News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich Candlestick

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 10, 2011, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I bought a Leich candlestick this week for $49 plus shipping, and it just arrived.  The nickel plated parts are in great condition, and the rest (shaft and base) have been been given a mediocre paint job.  As can be seen in the picture, the base includes an inductor coil.  Can anyone tell me how to connect this thing?  I would like to stick a Radio Shack capacitor into the base and connect the phone to my phone line, but I cannot find any wiring diagrams.

Thank You

Larry

wds

I have two leich's like that, but neither one has the coil.  To me, that looks like a local battery booster coil, which means it probably won't work on our CE lines.   Terminal 1 and 2 should be L1, L2,  The battery would hook up to terminal #4, and #2? 

Try hooking up L1 and L2 to #1 & #2 and see if the coil "leaks" and takes the phone off hook. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

I did try connecting the phone line to connectors 1 and 2, and it did take the line off-hook (with the hook up).  It also connected the transmitter but not the receiver.  I noticed that two of the contacts on the hook switch go to the inductor coil, and they are therefore connected together when the phone is off-hook.  I expect that there is some way to rewire the phone with an added capacitor to make it work on a CB line.  I did something similar with another Leich phone (the one in my profile picture).

Larry

wds

What I meant was to hook up L1 & L2, then hang up the receiver.  If it's a LB coil, it won't hold the 50 volts on the telephone line.  Check using another phone, and see if you get that operator message to hang up and try again. 

My candlestick is set up for anti-sidetone, so I'm not going to be much help with the wiring.  Yours looks like sidetone - I know you will need to jumper L1 to the mouthpiece with terminal #5 or #6 to the receiver.  The other terminal (5 or 6) will go to the condensor, then to L2. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

The line is not off-hook when the switch hook is down.  If I connect the phone line to terminals 1 and 4, the receiver and transmitter both work, and the phone is on-hook when the hook is down.  Here is a very crude diagram of the wiring.

Larry

wds

Candlesticks are my favorite phone, but unfortunately there's not much information out there to help with problems like this.  I don't quite understand how both the Receiver and Transmitter are working using term. 1 & 4.  Try this configuration just for the fun of it - L1 to Term. 2, L2 to Term. 1, and jumper Term 1 & 5 (or 4).  If that works, then I suppose you could replace the jumper from 1 to 5 with a capacitor. 
Dave

wds

Something else I just noticed, is that it looks like the switch makes contact first with the Receiver, and then the Transmitter.  I think that should be reversed to reduce that 50 volt click in the receiver when you answer the phone.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

Thanks for your help.  I tried the scheme you suggested, but I get very low volume from the receiver that way.  If I connect L1/L2 to 1 and 5 and a capacitor to 1 and 6, I get almost good results, but the volume from the transmitter is a bit low.

Larry

rdelius

on  some old  circuits, the rec was put in the circuit  first so you could see if the party line was in use before going off hook. there was a hook latch that had to be triggered to go off hook all the way.this latch was an option but the circuit was the same.
Robby

LarryInMichigan

This phone has not latch, but there is a significant amount of travel in the hook.  If it is raised about half way, contact is made with the first contact, but not the second.  I would really like to find a way to wire this to work on my line, but it looks like that will require unsoldering a few wires which I would prefer not to do since the inside of this phone looks to be in mint condition.  Last night, I wired a Kellogg stick, which also had an inductor coil in the base, according to the Kellogg f-118 diagram, using a capacitor from Radio Shack, and it works well now.

Larry