News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown NE Uniphone

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 11, 2018, 06:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

One phone on my low budget wish list was a brown Northern Electric Uniphone.  I noticed this phone (ebay link) for sale on ebay last week, and it appeared to me to be a brown phone which had been painted black, so I took a $68 gamble and bought it.  I asked the seller to wait until this week to ship it as I was out traveling, and it arrived this afternoon.  It turns out that my guess was correct (at least this time).  The phone and handset are mottled brown bakelite, and the black paint is thin.  I have started stripping it.  The phone will need new cords and preferably a replacement dial plate.  The insides are rather dirty, and some species of small invertebrate did plenty of reproducing inside the dial and handset.  I am attaching a couple of listing pictures.  I will hopefully have some pictures of the restored brown soon.

Larry

Ktownphoneco

Good for you Larry.    But, "WHY" would anyone, want to paint a walnut Uniphone "black" ??????    Looking forward to seeing the set in the "raw".  :-)     If you need any parts, let me know.

Jeff Lamb

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 11, 2018, 06:19:32 PM
But, "WHY" would anyone, want to paint a walnut Uniphone "black" ??????
Jeff Lamb

I have exactly the same question.  It wasn't even a nice paint job.  I have bought a number of beautiful antique clocks in great colors which had been badly painted by some geniuses in black and ugly beige.  I suppose that the rule is: "If you have paint, use it".

I may need some parts for this phone as well as a handset cord for a beautiful AE 35 I recently bought.

Larry

Jim Stettler

Looks like another contender for find of the month
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on October 11, 2018, 06:35:25 PM
I have exactly the same question.  It wasn't even a nice paint job.  I have bought a number of beautiful antique clocks in great colors which had been badly painted by some geniuses in black and ugly beige.  I suppose that the rule is: "If you have paint, use it".

We may never know why it was done. Maybe it's simply "the Universe's" way of providing relatively inexpensive collectibles to collectors on a tight budget.

May it continue indefinitely!  8)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I have bought more than a few black phone which had been painted black over the black bakelite or plastic.  I am curious as to how many other things in the homes of those phone painters were also painted black.  I can picture the furniture, dishes, linens, etc. all painted black :)

Larry

oldguy

Great find Larry, congratulations & a really good price. I can't wait to see the finished product.
Gary

Jim Stettler

Quote from: paul-f on October 11, 2018, 07:39:21 PM
We may never know why it was done. Maybe it's simply "the Universe's" way of providing relatively inexpensive collectibles to collectors on a tight budget.

May it continue indefinitely!  8)
Amen!
I concur, Nature abhors a vacuum. A strong want creates a vacuum. Many times I have been asked "How do you find all these unusual telephones".
My reply, " I look for them"
Ain't Nature Grand,
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

19and41

I'll bet this is a reason someone would want to paint that style of phone black.  So it would look more like this one.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

LarryInMichigan

I just reassembled the phone after de-painting, cleaning, sanding, and polishing it.  I found black rubber line and handset cords in my dwindling stock and borrowed a dial number plate from a spare #5 dial.  The phone looks pretty good now and works.

Larry

Gary Z

Yes it does look great! Good job. The painting can be tedious.

tubaman

Its come out really nice Larry - very well spotted!
:)

Ktownphoneco

FABphones

If a phone could smile, that one is certainly smiling now. Nicely done.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Really nice Larry. I put cloth cords on mine. I know what you mean on dwindling supplies. My #1 has a nickel fingerwheel and the #2 brass. Myself, I never liked the black on a brown set. Clear would look good as well. Great job.....Doug
Kidphone