"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What kind of dial is this?

Started by tallguy58, April 19, 2012, 03:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

Hello everyone:

Bill here, and I'm new to this board so please forgive any and all questions that have been previously asked.  I've done a fair bit of research on this board and have found a wealth of very useful info!

I have a  newly acquired D1 with a 4H dial that bears no resemblance to anything I've seen yet. I hope my uploading skills are up to snuff, so here goes.

Please advise as to what I have. Is this an old #2 that was refurbished?  My ultimate goal is to connect this up to a 687 subset when I get a network from a donor phone. Here's a pic of the set.

I plan to drill out the rivets holding the old condenser holder.

The 202 deskset came with an F1 handset and a frayed cord. I plan on getting a replacement from oldphoneworks and I've removed the 61A filter. (No AM radio here)

All the parts are dated 1939.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers........Bill

HowardPgh

That dial looks like it was modified to a simpler form. 4H has more contact springs.
How many wires are in the subset cord?  That D1/202 may be an old modification to use with the 685 subset.  The contacts used in the dial are the pulse contacts and the normally closed contacts of the off normal set.
Looking again at the dial, I don't see how the pulsing contacts would work.
I do see the normally closed contact though. I wonder what the purpose of this phone was?
Howard

tallguy58

Ok, further research has shown that it's a supposedly rare Northern Electric 4H dial.  Oldphoneworks has one pictured on their site.  Makes sense since I live in Canada and the phone came from Peterborough Ont. All the parts are NE parts. The subset cord has 3 conductors.  Can I still connect this to a modified 687 with a scrounged network?
Cheers........Bill