News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help troubleshooting a 302?

Started by Bartonpipes, January 08, 2015, 03:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bartonpipes

Hi all, I'm just finishing fixing up a 302 for a friend and I ran into a few problems. I have checked the wiring and all the wires are in the correct places, so I was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the right direction based on these symptoms.

-The receiver on the handset does not work, however if I listen closely when pushing the hookswitch there is a very faint click. I have swapped out the element for one I know works, still the same thing.

-The Dial does pulse when listening to it from another phone, but it doesn't break the dial tone.

-Last night I hooked it up and dialed zero, and the cordless phone rang in the other room. I tried it three times and it happened every time. Weird right?

I am more than willing to do work on the dial if need be.

Any thoughts?
-Andrew

Doug Rose

Andrew....post a pictures of the base and the connections to the dial.....Doug
Kidphone

Bartonpipes

I really wish I could post some pictures but my camera is broken. I would take some with my phone but you can really see any detail on those.

I just realized that I didn't think to check continuity on the handset cord, I will do that and see if that's a problem. That could at least explain the receiver problems.

(Edit) the handset cord checked out good.
-Andrew

poplar1

Try moving white handset cord from W on dial to GN on induction coil and see if you then hear dial tone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Bartonpipes

Quote from: poplar1 on January 08, 2015, 07:56:47 PM
Try moving white handset cord from W on dial to GN on induction coil and see if you then hear dial tone.

Wow! It lives!

I am getting a dial tone, and it dials out. But what does that mean?
-Andrew

poplar1

The receiver is now connected directly to GN and R on the induction coil.

Try moving the white handset cord wire from GN on induction coil to BB on dial; that will add the (green and brown-blue) hookswitch contact springs to the circuit. Note: the green hookswitch wire should already be on GN (induction coil), and the brown-blue hookswitch conductor should already be on BB (dial).

unbeldi

This schematic is from another thread on this forum and shows the circuit of the 302.

From this you can follow the progress visually. The receiver is marked RX and contains the white wire on W, and all the contacts to GN.  From it you can see that you have two potential trouble points, the off-normal dial switch DS with contacts W and BB, and the hookswitch with the green and brown-blue wires.

Bartonpipes

Ok, I moved the white wire to BB and it eliminates the loud click when picked up

Looking at that schematic, would this mean that my normally closed dial switch is stuck open?
-Andrew

unbeldi

Quote from: Bartonpipes on January 09, 2015, 10:23:44 PM
Ok, I moved the white wire to BB and it eliminates the loud click when picked up

Looking at that schematic, would this mean that my normally closed dial switch is stuck open?

Excellent question.  It might indeed. The fact that the click has disappeared is good news because that is what the hookswitch at this point, which makes its connection last, is indeed supposed to deliver.
The dial switch, next in line, is your last trouble spot left.  Look at the contacts and make sure they are wired correctly and not stuck.

poplar1

There should be continuity between the BB and W terminals on the dial when the dial is at rest.

Look at the two contact springs nearest the terminal strip of the dial and make sure they are closed when the dial is at rest. They should open only while the dial is wound up or returning to rest.

unbeldi

Here are the pictorial details.

Doug Rose

Karl....that is an excellent picture. Very good for the newbie and the experienced collector. I have saved it....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Bartonpipes

Thanks for all of the help guys, I figured out exactly what was wrong. I must have hit contact BB with my screwdriver while tightening screw R, because I found that it was bent just enough to prevent it from closing all the way. I carefully adjusted it until it made proper contact and now it works as Dreyfuss/Western Electric intended!
-Andrew