News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does anybody else do this?

Started by Greg G., June 02, 2009, 02:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I would kill for a 500 dated 10-50, I was one year old then.
I'm trying to get one 500 from each year in the 50's, with hopes that I can ultimately get October of each year. So if you ever decide to part with the 10-50 500 please keep me in mind.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Ellen

Don't you think that's a kind of personal question?   ;)

My AE40 turns stiffly, and the thin metal dial hurts my widdle finger a widdle bit.  It whirs, rather than clickety-clacks.

The moss-green WE500 has a clear plastic dial that is probably the wrong one for it (the "original" one had been glued on because it had been forced off.  So it makes a click-click noise at the beginning of the turn and feels a bit sloppy, but I like it anyway.

The AT&T CS2500 pushes with a nice bump so I know I've managed to push it properly, in case the beep in the ear doesn't.   ::)  That one has 4 extra buttons: TT/DP / redial / mute / ringer volume.

McHeath

Speaking of touch tone phones, I will press the buttons on my 1500 just because.  I really like how they have a nice solid feel, and a clear bottoming effect.  My Cortelco 2500 at work on my desk, made in 2003, has a really cheap keypad that has none of the feel of quality and tactile response of the old Ma Bell pads. 

AET

I have 3 500's next to my bed, and I've woken up with my finger in the dial before, and I do it for fun all the time!  Haha. 
- Tom

Dennis Markham

Tom, you made me laugh out loud on that one! :)  Where've you been hiding?

AET

Well, I'm glad that I could bring a laugh.  Well, I've been dealing with some personal troubles, as well as car troubles, work stress, health issues, and all that fun stuff. I finally felt well enough to sit on the computer for awhile.  Besides, I had to put my 58 Chevy up for sale to either fix my station wagon or buy myself another station wagon.
- Tom

Dan

Funny how you like wagons, my middle son--16 years old-- his all-time dream car is a '59 Impala Wagon. (kinda scary with all that back seat room ::)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Yup, I love them, and would love a 57 Nomad.  But my 87 Caprice Estate will do for now, and I've got my eye on an 89 Colony Park right now, but I'll just keep my fingers crossed my 58 Sells, so I can buy it.
- Tom

Dan

Can you still tinker with an '89, or do you have to hook them up to a computer to tune them up and get them running better? I like the old ones because there is actually room under the hood to get a socket wrench working
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

The 89 is going to be my 'reliable' ride if I get it.  It's got a fuel-injected *shudders* 5.0 Ford *shudders again* engine.  My mom's on my case to get something new, and to give up on these old cars, as she has a 52 Ford and dad has his 57 Chevy.  It's just a lot of frustration these days, I tell ya.
- Tom

Dan

Well Tom, I respect you and your style. It's really sad when young teens think a cool ride is a Scion xB or a Nissan Cube or a Ford Fusion.

I had a '65 mustang (and still own it) and a '65 Impala Convertible (still own it too)when I was 16. The Impala Cost me a whopping $400, while the all original Mustang was $1800. Remember though, this was 1978.

AET

Sounds like my dad's stories.  He had a 65 Impala SS for 200 bucks, but it wasn't a convertible.  I bet yours is sharp!  Same with the mustang.  Dad's first car was a 1966 Chevy Caprice Wagon with a 396 and a TH400 and blew the doors of a brand new mustang in 1980.  He bought his first car, the Caprice when he turned 16 (1976). 

And thank you by the way, my style definately comes from the old school of mind.
- Tom

bingster

So yeah... I spin my dials, too. ;)

Especially the 4s.  They rock.
= DARRIN =

Tonyrotary

When I first got my 554, yep! I even dialed my cell once or twice by just tapping the hook!  ;D Can't wait to get home, cause when I do, I am going to dial all the phones I bought while here in the sandbox. ;D

mienaichizu

I also spin the dials every time I pass on one of my phones. My phones are scattered all around the house.
On my desk sits my AE40 and AE80 multi-line. When I have a conversation on the other phone, I spin the dial of the other one. I love to hear the sound it makes.

So anybody rings their phone once in a while, I also do that, using my cellphone to ring my telephones. It just became a habit. :D