News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Having just seen a thread on the late James Garner,  It made me think of another private eye that used an answering machine.  Jim's stacked with the phone on the desk.  For Mike Hammer (Ralph Meeker), call the builders!  Big difference between 1956 and 1974!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

MaximRecoil

david@london

Bell, Book and Candle (1958), with James Stewart, Kim Novak and Jack Lemmon features some nice 500 sets, including a moss green set with straight grey handset cord, and what looks like a rose beige:

Bob S

( This followed from a topic started in 2012 about a rotary phone on "Bones" S06E03 at this link:
     http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=312.msg84400#msg84400
The phone gift is shown at 43:40 into the episode has been attached below. )

Seen this on the TV show Bones went like this
Fromm Bones "The Maggots in the Meathead
Hannah: I was thinking I wanted to get him something when I moved in; a present, and since you know him so well —
Brennan: A telephone! Get him a telephone!
Hannah: I was thinking something a little more personal.
Brennan: A vintage rotary phone. Booth loves them and hasn't been able to find the right one.
Hannah: Really?
Brennan: Yes! He's been looking. Booth says that's what a phone is supposed to be: indestructible and heavy enough to knock someone out.
Hannah: [laughs] Yeah, that sounds like Seeley.
Brennan: His grandfather kept his rotary phone until it fell apart. Booth loved the feel of the bakelite, the tick-tick-tick of the dial as it turned. He says the mechanics make it human.

FABphones

Spotted this on Columbo 'How to Dial a Murder':
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

david@london

FabPhones,

I remember that episode. Columbo is a great show for phones.

Land Of The Giants in the 60s was a favourite of mine as a wee boy, though I don't remember seeing that many.
I definitely remember its giant telephones though......

andre_janew

I do believe that many, if not all, phones on Columbo were Design Line models.

I have no information on this picture. I came across it when surfing the net.

FABphones

Yikes, early CGI.
1970's TV show/advert? Does anyone recognize it?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Key2871

Reminds me of the recent giant Princes models on eBay.
KEN

Nick in Manitou

The image is from a TV show with the Carpenters singing an old Marvelettes song, Beechwood 4-5789.

You can find the video (if you really want to) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nXagbBkuw

As soon as I saw the number at the top of the photo, the Marvelettes' version started playing in my head!

Nick

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on May 10, 2020, 11:57:50 AM
The image is from a TV show with the Carpenters singing an old Marvelettes song, Beechwood 4-5789.

You can find the video (if you really want to) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nXagbBkuw

As soon as I saw the number at the top of the photo, the Marvelettes' version started playing in my head!

Nick

Thanks for posting that, mystery is solved!

Key2871

I don't know if anyone has noticed, But that phone is modular. Take a close look,at the front behind Karen and you'll see a modular jack.
Now I wasn't aware modular was around when that video was shot. It must have been done in the mid 70s or so..
KEN

Quote from: Key2871 on May 10, 2020, 12:54:55 PM
I don't know if anyone has noticed, But that phone is modular. Take a close look,at the front behind Karen and you'll see a modular jack.
Now I wasn't aware modular was around when that video was shot. It must have been done in the mid 70s or so..

If you look even closer you will notice the it is only a special effects picture that was likely displayed on a green screen behind her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_key

Key2871

Well yea I knew that had to be blown up special effects because there are no phones that size, especially modular.
KEN