News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 302 - Purple Chromium Powder Coat

Started by mazda_matt, February 14, 2020, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Oh, the Teal is nice! first the purple, now teal.... what new colors are you guys coming up with?? I love both of them!
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim Stettler on February 14, 2020, 07:50:59 PM
I like the look with black trim.
I have heard there were some chromed 302 retirement sets that had matching handsets. I have never had the chance to see one in person.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it adds {at least} 2 steps to Matt's starting process to plate the handsets.
ISTR reading that you start with metallic paint, electroplate over it with {copperand then} brass, and then electroplate the brass with chrome to create your chrome base .
Once you have the chrome then you go with the transparent tint, then the clear coat.
You could always add another step after the tint coat and air brush any design you wanted (pinstripes, flames ect) onto the phone and then clear coat.
These are cool creations.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other nice metal phones that people plate. You could create a really cool collection of tinted chrome sets.
I feel that stripping/polishing/plating/tinting of these old metal sets is not lamp-making, These actions come under artistic license. There are lots of these old sets that are in poor condition, Might as well make them custom and maybe get someone else interested in old telephones.

JMO,
Jim

{denotes edit to add the copper step, please correct me if I am wrong}
>additional edit: if you use a metallic copper paint can you skip the copperplate  step?<

The above quote has been edited. This post is just to advise. If  anyone  has played around with the plating kits wants to comment please do so,
https://www.caswellplating.com/ caswell plating comes to mind.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

mazda_matt

Quote from: Jim Stettler on February 14, 2020, 11:23:53 PM
The above quote has been edited. This post is just to advise. If  anyone  has played around with the plating kits wants to comment please do so,
Thanks,
Jim

Hey Jim,

No plating was involved in painting this phone. The chrome, tint and clear coat are all powder coated on. This process is quite rare as its very labour intensive since every bump, nick or divot either needs to be sanded & filled or it will show through.

Thanks,
-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Coupon Code - CRF10 (10% off)

mazda_matt

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 14, 2020, 06:57:22 PM
Mazda Matt...great colors, any reason you don't paint the handsets to match? These would look great with matching handsets and a 5J or 6D on them....Doug

Hey Doug,

Would love to paint the handsets as well, but Bakelite melts in the high temp ovens used for powder coating, we're tried! LOL

I tried it with a clear fingerwheel, but it contrasted with the black handset and IMO didn't look as good.

Thanks,
-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 14, 2020, 10:38:21 PM
Oh, the Teal is nice! first the purple, now teal.... what new colors are you guys coming up with?? I love both of them!

This opens up the doors to a whole slew of different colours we can do. I have three or four other colours and textures I tried on this most recent run. Will post soon!

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Key2871

I've watched a YouTube video where a guy restores old metal toys. He started getting in to a chrome powder coat. When  it's done it looks pretty sharp, and clear coating would only enhance the finish.
So they must now have that same process in colors, so on metal anything the finish would really be cool.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Quote from: mazda_matt on February 15, 2020, 11:56:15 AM
Hey Jim,

No plating was involved in painting this phone. The chrome, tint and clear coat are all powder coated on. This process is quite rare as its very labour intensive since every bump, nick or divot either needs to be sanded & filled or it will show through.

Thanks,
-MM

I had no idea they could do that with powder coating. It is an amazing look.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

eBay auction
(Edit to add links)ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Original-Western-Electric-302-Purple-Chromium-Rotary-Dial-Telephone/124083567369
Tiny URL https://tinyurl.com/wsnh68s
Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: mazda_matt on February 14, 2020, 04:03:31 PM
Here is a sneak peek of the candy teal one...

That's also a really nice colour.

Hope the auction/s go well for you.
:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

mazda_matt

Quote from: Jim Stettler on February 15, 2020, 01:33:17 PM
I had no idea they could do that with powder coating. It is an amazing look.

Same here. My painter is local and specializes in restoring vintage cars. Which is why he is able to try out new finishes. Most powder coaters typically just deal with black.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

Dan/Panther

Reminds me of Cobalt Blue Glass.
Both phones are beautiful.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

In addition, something no one mentioned.
HOW DID YOU GET THAT HANDSET TO LOOK LIKE THAT ?

D/P

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Jim Stettler on February 14, 2020, 11:23:53 PM
Thanks,
Jim

I have used Caswell plating kits in several plating metals. Chrome, Copy Chrome, Nickel, Copper. The kits work great, HOWEVER plating results are only as good as the surface preparation of the metal being plated. If you want a Chrome like mirror finish, the aluminum will need to be perfectly smooth. Every flaw in the aluminum will show up in the chrome.

D/P

mazda_matt

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 17, 2020, 12:40:01 PM
In addition, something no one mentioned.
HOW DID YOU GET THAT HANDSET TO LOOK LIKE THAT ?

D/P

Haha, the handset is one of the nicest buffed ones I have come across. Hence why I keep it for pictures sake. Took a lot of sanding and buffing to get it to look like that.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320

mazda_matt

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 17, 2020, 12:45:54 PM
I have used Caswell plating kits in several plating metals. Chrome, Copy Chrome, Nickel, Copper. The kits work great, HOWEVER plating results are only as good as the surface preparation of the metal being plated. If you want a Chrome like mirror finish, the aluminum will need to be perfectly smooth. Every flaw in the aluminum will show up in the chrome.

D/P

I need to get one of these kits for doing small parts like bells and terminals for wood wall phones.

-MM
oldphoneworks.com
1-800-843-1320