"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone Mishaps in the Movies & TV

Started by BDM, September 20, 2009, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Quote from: gpo706 on December 22, 2012, 06:39:07 AM
a night duty policeman at Buckingham Palace takes an international phone call from the Queen of the Netherlands through a 1960's Dictograph...

I had no idea that Dictograph's were capable of such "Long Distance" operation :)

Terry

gpo706

Must have been a very long extension, and a very determined Dictograph engineer to install it!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Phonesrfun

"Lured"  (1947) with Lucille Ball and Boris Karloff

Watching this movie on TCM tonight.  About 15 or so minutes into the movie, Lucille Ball is having a telephone conversation with another person.  The scene switched back and forth showing each person as they talk.  The scenes for Lucille Ball were obviously different takes.  She starts out talking on a 302 with a nice shiny F1 handset.  So is the other guy.  However in about half the shots of Lucille, she magically changes to an E1 handset, then in the same conversation, switches back to an F1.

Further, I believe the setting of the film is supposed to be London....  Error #2

At least she sometimes uses a "Lucy" phone

-Bill G

MaximRecoil

Not really a mishap, but has anyone else ever noticed how often actors, when hanging up a traditional desk phone (e.g., 500 or 2500), hang it up "backwards", like this?

I've seen it so often in movies and TV shows that it makes me wonder if that's considered the normal way of hanging up a phone for some people.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: MaximRecoil on September 03, 2018, 09:50:05 PM
Not really a mishap, but has anyone else ever noticed how often actors, when hanging up a traditional desk phone (e.g., 500 or 2500), hang it up "backwards", like this?

I've seen it so often in movies and TV shows that it makes me wonder if that's considered the normal way of hanging up a phone for some people.
Really annoying, isn't it.
They usually hang a hand receiver (wood/candlestick phone) upside down as well.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.