News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Telephone shows ?

Started by LoveOldPhones, January 08, 2017, 12:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoveOldPhones

OK.... I'm in Texas.  I don't think there are any telephone shows down here....  never been to one.

I REALLY want to go to a BIG show.....  tell me which one? .... and where ?
which are the best ones in the country ! 

Thanks

Jim Stettler

The best ones are within 1 day's driving distance. Take a truck.
JMO,
Jim S.

I usually only go to the KS show, It is 450 miles from me.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

paul-f

Quote from: LoveOldPhones on January 08, 2017, 12:30:02 AM
I REALLY want to go to a BIG show.....  tell me which one? .... and where ?
which are the best ones in the country ! 

The dates for the largest are usually posted on the web sites of the two collector clubs:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/shows/index.htm

http://atcaonline.com/shows.php

Photos from some past shows can be found here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/shows/galleries.htm

The Lancaster, PA and Shipshewana, IN shows are usually the largest. Which is best is a matter of personal choice, depending somewhat on the main collecting focus.

The upcoming Maitland, FL show (Jan. 21) is popular, but generally smaller.

Over the years, the midwest has proven the best location for large sustainable shows. Shows held on the coasts and in the south are generally smaller regional shows. Several shows in Washington, California and Florida have been held regularly for many years, but shows in other locations have been intermittent.

Both clubs are encouraging collectors to run more regional shows, but finding show hosts is a challenge. Texas is long overdue for a show.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LoveOldPhones

Great !  Thanks for the info..... but JIM !   where IS the Kansas show ?
and yes... i already own a truck.  LOL

LoveOldPhones

OK... never mind...  I see the post on it. 
sorry about that... should have looked first.

PAULC978

Years ago ATCA had regional shows in Enfield, CT. But no longer. I do miss attending them. Are there any phone shows in the New England area?

paul-f

Quote from: PAULC978 on September 03, 2018, 07:42:04 AM
Years ago ATCA had regional shows in Enfield, CT. But no longer. I do miss attending them. Are there any phone shows in the New England area?
First, Welcome to the Forum!

This is a great first post topic.

Many others also miss the Enfield shows, which were hosted by Bill Provencher twice a year for many years -- thru 2011, as I recall. Bill passed away in 2012, and no one has stepped forward to host the shows on an ongoing basis. Several other locations closer to NYC were tried, without much support.

There are regular shows that have worked in other parts of the country that can used as models.

If you or anyone else wants to host a New England show, I'm sure both TCI and ATCA show hosts would gladly offer some help and support to get you up and running. While they have expertise in running shows, there's a clear advantage to having a host who lives near the show site managing the details.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

PAULC978

Thanks for the info Paul. I can't believe it's been six years since the last Enfield Show. I remember driving home on the Mass Pike and hearing the clatter of bells from the phones I bought as I hit bumps in the road. Fond memories.