News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Galion no dial tone.

Started by HarrySmith, September 09, 2018, 07:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am working on a North Galion. In putting it back together after cleaning & repair it does not work. I hear a loud pop if I press the plungers or move the dial. Other than that there is silence. I marked all the wires to put them back where they came from and I checked it against the diagram, all looks good. I cannot figure it out. Help!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Hi Harry   ....   Was it working before the clean up, or is it a brand new acquisition ?     I added a box and arrow, with the words "What's this ? " to one of you pictures.     It's a little red "thing" in the right corner, but I don't see the same thing on the other side.   What is that ?  Click to enlarge.
If you can get something up near the switch hook springs and make sure they are opening properly in the "on hook" position, check the other wiring and make sure a connector or wire from one terminal isn't touch an adjacent terminal wire or connector.

Jeff

HarrySmith

Hi Jeff,
Yes it was working before I started on it. I changed over the case as it was damaged besides cleaning everything. I marked the wires and drew a map to be sure I got them back. Plus there is a schematic on the condenser I used to double check. That red spot is some adhesive that was used on the grille fabric at some time. I am  stumped.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Move white (rec) handset wire to GN on 101A IND
Move red (common) handset wire to R on 101A
Move black (xmtr) handset wire to L2 on 101A

Then, if you can receive and transmit, move one handset lead at a time back to original position
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

OK, red was already on R. Moved the other 2 and still the same.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

Did you disconnect the other wires on the induction coil, other than the line cord and the 3 wires of the handset cord?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

No I did not disconnect anything. I will try that later. Thanks.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I tried the test with the handset direct to the line cord and still got nothing. I tried my test line cord, still nothing. Then I grabbed my test handset and still nothing. Now I knew it was in the handset or cord. I got my meter and tested the handset cord for continuity, it tested good. I checked from the wire connection inside the handset to the contacts for the element. I got continuity on black but nothing on the common red & white. I jumpered to the contact from the red wire and presto, I got dial tone. I am guessing something inside the handset must be disconnected somewhere. I put everything back and I now have dial tone. Thanks so much for the advice! This phone will be done & up for sale soon.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HowardPgh

If you narrowed the problem to the handset. Naturally check the cord for continuity. In the part that holds the transmitter contact springs make sure the metal links are  installed between the cord terminal and the transmitter contact(R) and the cord terminal and the screw for the receiver(W). Black just goes to the transmitter. Make sure your wiring to the dial is not reversed somewhere. As in RW and W(mute) or G and BL(pulse).  Also make sure your phone isn't a weird one like mine with a pushbutton that holds open a contact pair on the hook switch.  See my post about "North Galion makes no Sense" in the General Discussion section. Also be aware that there  are two different wiring color codes depending on the age of the phone, cloth vs plastic covered wires.
Howard

HarrySmith

Thanks. The problem was a missing metal link to the contact. I installed one I had from another phone and it is working now. I posted step by step of how I got there in case anyone else is in a similar position.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"