News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

System wiring Layout suggestions needed!

Started by Babybearjs, November 17, 2018, 10:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

>:( OK guys... hers my situation: when I originally laid out the wiring scheme for my phone system I did it by direction. (north, south, East, West) and now I thinking I should have done it by room. In my 66 Blocks, I wired my system so all the phones on my south side were on the same blocks and the same with the phones on my Northside... (the house sits facing west, with the 2 major walls being N and S) would it have been easier to have wired it by Room? (Living, kitchen, etc) when planning the system, how do engineers lay thing out? I was having to troubleshoot an ICM circuit and am having on heck of a time finding the pair I have the toner on... if I had laid out the system by room, would it have made things easier? what do you think?
John

RB

This is just my opinion...
I did network/phone wiring professionally for 17 years.
Each time I had to do it all, I would begin at one end, " usually by the door", and move forward in a clockwise direction.
The first drop being "Net 1/ Ph 1".
The next in line, Net 2/ Ph 2 And move around the room, till I got all needed drops installed.
Then move to the next room.
All net cables terminated to a patch panel, and all Com lines to a 66 punch block.
This made it easy to find a single drop, even, and "usually most of the time", when the customer placed a heavy desk, or something
in front of a drop location.
Based on the previous room, or the next room, I could pinpoint the drop I needed pretty quickly.

Key2871

That's pretty much how I did mine as well. I was using 1A2.
But following Bell manuals I provided a block for each extension. But when I added extensions, I'd add onto the block closest to that existsing extension. I would start with a master block with jumpers to each extension block, then broke out to mini split blocks, all mounted to a back board. Marked the cable and the extension number, and when adding to an existing block I used the far right clips. Now keep in mind these were mini blocks that were split, so I just added a bridging clip to activate the new extension(s). That way if I had trouble I would isolate the questionable block first, then the extension.
I also numbered sets/extension by number. Using bridging clips with split Block's, numbering the cables worked for me.
Very well, because at some point there will be that time when trouble happens.
KEN

AE_Collector

I'm assuming that you mean one block has several cables/phones on it? Long ago I realized that the only foolproof, futureproof method for any type of wiring whether phones, alarms or data is home runs. Other methods of looping and multiples can almost always be made to work fully but it will always create more problems with labeling, functionality and unexpected results.

JMHO,
Terry

Babybearjs

I was in the middle of writing a reply to this thread and I hit the wrong key, pulled up the de-bugging app.... went to close it and lost the whole page, my browser closed and just gave up!
John

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

For anyone who has not yet experienced this or doesn't know how to close the debugger window (F12 on this computer opens the window but there may be another function key or set of keys (including the Ctrl or Fn or ALT + some character depending of which platform, Windows version, an OS other than Windows, the computer being used and its keyboard) that opens the Debugger window.

The "x" in the window closes the window leaving everything behind it intact.