News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The model 500 lives on.

Started by McHeath, August 14, 2009, 11:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Just when you thought that the plug had been pulled on model 500 production along comes this:

http://tinyurl.com/mlztub

It's current production Cortelco, Model 89001047PAK, and if you go here:

http://www.cortelco.com/pdf/2008SolGuide.pdf

And scroll to the bottom you will see it in the lineup. 

It's a no dial jobber, but hey it's a model 500 being made exactly 60 years after introduction, and in the USA by an original maker to boot.  (Cortelco was once Kellogg) 

Might have to buy me one in honor of the 60th birthday of the 500.  (Now if I can only save my lunch money) :D

foots

Wow, I would have never guessed they'd still make one, especially without a dial. Seems that would be a worse seller than even a rotary dial model. Why would someone pay that much for that phone, besides a collector, is a mystery to me.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Greg G.

Put a light in the middle of the dial area and you'd have a Bat Phone:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

I'm guessing that such a phone would be of interest to companies that need a very solid and very basic answer only phone in a difficult environment, like a warehouse.  Seeing as how Cortelco is usually profitable, and even made a small profit in the last quarter, they must have demand for this phone model that justifies it's production.  The tooling for the model 500 is most likely long paid off, and in a warehouse who cares what the phone looks like style wise, so one of our favorite old timey phones keeps on keeping on. 

Does anyone know of any other consumer items still in production 60 years after introduction in basically unchanged form? 

phoneguy06

Quote from: McHeath on August 15, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
I'm guessing that such a phone would be of interest to companies that need a very solid and very basic answer only phone in a difficult environment, like a warehouse.  Seeing as how Cortelco is usually profitable, and even made a small profit in the last quarter, they must have demand for this phone model that justifies it's production.  The tooling for the model 500 is most likely long paid off, and in a warehouse who cares what the phone looks like style wise, so one of our favorite old timey phones keeps on keeping on. 

Does anyone know of any other consumer items still in production 60 years after introduction in basically unchanged form? 
The View-Master and its 3D picture reels! Introduced in 1939 at the New York World's Fair, it's still barely hanging on as an almost forgotten children's plaything, although originally intended for adults. I collect both viewers and scenic (photography) reels. How many of you knew that View-Master just closed its scenic reel production plant in December 2008, ending an almost 70-year tradition of giving people the opportunity to "travel the world from their armchairs"?

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath

That's a really interest question, Heath. Thinking in terms of real "icons" of classic industrial design, like the 500, that have lasted so long, the Airstream trailer comes to mind, but the Airstream's designs have evolved and changed quite a bit over the years. Besides the obvious little day to day items, like the standard wooden pencil and such, what other consumer items can we think of that have essentially retained their basic form over 60 years?

I'm also a little surprised though at the high price of the dial-less Cortelco, although your explanation makes sense. Are they really built that well to warrant the cost?

(BTW, Brinybay, I like the "Bat Phone" idea... (8))
-Matt

phoneguy06

Quote from: HobieSport on August 15, 2009, 09:09:20 PM

I'm also a little surprised though at the high price of the dial-less Cortelco, although your explanation makes sense. Are they really built that well to warrant the cost?
[/quote]

The short answer to the question about quality would be "no". You've probably seen my 2003 red Cortelco 500 that has a dial, and the internal components are most definitely not of the same caliber as an older WE especially the re-designed all-plastic ringer assembly; that said, when comparing overall robustness of a Cortelco 500/2500 to any modern plastic phone, the Cortelco wins hands down, because what other phone still uses the same cad-plated metal baseplate that it has since the late 60s?! Come to think of it, what other phone contains any metal at all?

McHeath

I concur with my colleague about the build quality of the Cortelco, it's really cheapened from the glory days of Western Electric and it shows when you set them next to each other.  This is NOT your father's phone. 

However, I also agree that compared to pretty much everything else made today the Cortelco's are the most durable thing out there.  All metal baseplate and hookswitch, actual copper wires, rubber feet riveted on, thick plastics for the shell and handset, the legacy of the WE era shows even in a cheaper form.  Open one up and it's amazing how little of the basic format has changed, sure the parts are cheaper but it's still obviously a late 1940's design.  Even the hookswitch still uses all the contact points instead of some cheap plastic clicker switch.  It's also not some cheap all plastic 6 buck throwaway China made phone, not even in the same league.

I've been noticing how many companies use these modern Cortelcos and it's quite a few in my region.  Our local Wal-Mart has them all over the place, 2554s, our local hospital has 2500s in the rooms and 2554s in the halls, all our school district uses these same models in all classes, the local Target has them as well.  Mostly all Cortelcos, I pick up the handsets a lot and look, though some are China made Premiers and some Scitechs.  Walking down the hall in the hospital the other day I noticed one and saw that it looked older and sure enough, it was an old Western Electric "Bell System Property" 2554 in beige.  Had the old type 35 dial as well, with the nice firm touch.  Amazing that it's been in service in that hallway since the late 70's when the place was built. 

Greg G.

Quote from: HobieSport on August 15, 2009, 09:09:20 PM
(BTW, Brinybay, I like the "Bat Phone" idea... (8))

There is a Bat Phone on the market.  

http://technabob.com/blog/2008/11/28/batman-batphone-shakespeare-bust/

And instructions on how to make one:  

(WARNING:  INSTRUCTIONS INCLUDE BLASPHEMOUS MATERIAL ABOUT ALTERING A ROTARY 500!)

http://www.millionaireplayboy.com/toys/batphone.php
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

foots

This place also sells "batphones" as well as "Walter Cronkite" phones. Very expensive.

I FORGOT TO POST THE LINK, SO HERE IT IS  http://www.frillfreephones.com/
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

McHeath

Would be pretty cool eh, the Batphone.

Nah nah nah nah nah nah nah nah Bat man!

The red dial-less Cortelco 500 can be found for about 50 bucks by shopping around online.  To go from that to 190 dollars for a Batphone replica seems a lot for some lights and a buzzer. 

Anyway, once I manage to land one of these Cortelco jobbers I'll do a full report, though it may be a bit as I've got to eat a bit first. 

McHeath

Been thinking of things made for decades, and currently in production, mostly unchanged form their original form.

The WE 554 phone in it's current incarnation as the 3554.

The C-130 Hercules.

Winchester model 94'.

Cessna 172.

Honda Super Cub.

Eames Lounge Chair.

Colt Single Action Army.  (stopped a couple of time but brought back each time)

Lodge cast iron cookware.

I'm sure there are more.

The Operator

I have two:

Dietz Monarch hot blast lantern
Dietz Blizzard cold blast lantern

Both were intruduced around 1900 and both are still in production. ~The Operator
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

m1898

Another one is the Adlake kerosene railroad lantern. A couple of years ago I bought a new one directly from the factory in Elkhart, In.
"Oh lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day"

McHeath

Checking on my first link brings up a notice that this product was discontinued as of November 30, 2011 and to call for availability.

Also it has now vanished from Cortelco's site as a current offering. 

So it seems that the model 500s long run is over as of 15 days ago.  62 years is pretty good for anything to last. :) :)

Moment of silence. :'(