News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Werner von Braun's phone

Started by old_stuff_hound, January 02, 2012, 11:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

Thought y'all might be interested in this: Werner von Braun's office in the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL. In addition to the phone, note the little slide rule. I expected bigger!

Adam

Wow!  Nice!  Appears to be a beige 564HL with appears to be round buttons!  I'd LOVE to have one like that!

By the way, I surmise it's a 564HL and not a 565HK because the mounting cord looks sort of skinny compared to a full 25-pair cable.

I have green and white 564HL sets in my collection, but they both have square buttons... My only round button 6 button set is a black 565HK.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

GG

Looks like a 4-button set to me, I don't know the WE number for those, but someone here does. 

Re. "office looks small," that's from the times when great people did great things for modest rewards.   Contrast to today when bad people do bad things and get obscene rewards.  There are times when I really think that bringing back the draft would put some character back in our culture (though of course in the case of VonBraun, he came to us from the opposite side of the fence after WW2).

Adam

Oh!  You're right!  Looking closer, yes, it is a 4 button 544 set, not a six button 564!  Even more rarer in a color other than black!
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

old_stuff_hound

Glad ya'll identified it! I don't know them well enough to know.

RE: small office -- I was referring to the size of the slide rule, not the office! But maybe by that time he was crunching not engineering numbers but instead budget numbers. ;-)

Actually, the "office" was a display of his office furniture set up kinda like a display window....

Adam

You know what they say, it's not how big your slide rule is, it's how you use it.

;D
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820