News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Peroxide Treatment, how to?

Started by WesternElectricBen, April 17, 2013, 11:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

I'm not sure if their in another topic on how to do a peroxide treatment though I want to know,

What do you use and what are all compontes?

And will it only work on white phones?

Thank you,
Ben

Greg G.

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 17, 2013, 11:36:39 PM
I'm not sure if their in another topic on how to do a peroxide treatment though I want to know,

Thank you,
Ben

The answer is mostly "yes", only on white phones, but look here: Peroxide Treatment Detailed Instructions
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Brinybay on April 17, 2013, 11:40:14 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on April 17, 2013, 11:36:39 PM

Thank you,
Ben

The answer is mostly "yes", only on white phones, but look here: Discolored Plastic - Improving it Chemically

Right, looked their but I didn't get the most clear answer, that's why I posted. Thoughi guess I can search through and make it like puzzle pices..

Ben

Greg G.

I changed the link to the detailed instructions thread.  I started with those instructions, except I wasn't so picky about the specific brand names of the ingredients and it worked ok.  I used Oxiclean, Salon 40, and just what ever corn starch I had on hand or was available at the store.  I don't have sunlight in the NW, so I used a regular 100W bulb suspended from a light fixture.  I've found that those plastic pans that cakes come in work best.  I asked the friendly neighborhood grocer if I could buy one or two of the pans by themselves and they sold them to me for a couple dollars each.  Or if you like all that sugary crap, you can just buy a cake and have the pan too, haha!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Brinybay on April 17, 2013, 11:46:39 PM
I changed the link to the detailed instructions thread.

Ok, thank you!!

AE40FAN

I just used peroxide cream from Sally's. If you want to bleach non-white light colored phones I would suggest using nothing higher than volume 20.    My technique is as followed:

I pour a generous amount into a container and let it set in the air for a few hours (seems to thicken). 

I'll place the plastic components on a baking sheet (reflective surface) and cover them completely with the peroxide cream until I feel all spots are covered. 

I would then set it out in the hot sun for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (careful not to over bleach).  Rinse and repeat if necessary. 

Greg G.

Also check out this thread for restoring colored phones with a product called "White Magic", which is only available in Canada.  I have some, but haven't tried using it yet.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4658.0
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Brinybay on April 20, 2013, 04:39:46 AM
Also check out this thread for restoring colored phones with a product called "White Magic", which is only available in Canada.  I have some, but haven't tried using it yet.  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4658.0

I must get that!
Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE40FAN on April 19, 2013, 08:12:01 PM
I just used peroxide cream from Sally's. If you want to bleach non-white light colored phones I would suggest using nothing higher than volume 20.    My technique is as followed:

I pour a generous amount into a container and let it set in the air for a few hours (seems to thicken). 

I'll place the plastic components on a baking sheet (reflective surface) and cover them completely with the peroxide cream until I feel all spots are covered. 

I would then set it out in the hot sun for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (careful not to over bleach).  Rinse and repeat if necessary. 

I'm going to have to try that, thank you!
Ben