News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO 8756 Chemical Strip - Before/After Pics

Started by FABphones, May 30, 2018, 09:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I bought this 'Ivory' 8756 well over 10 years ago. It was this same colour when I bought it but I never got around to doing anything about it. Since making my new phone display unit this 'tan' phone has stood out like a sore thumb (I collect Black, Ivory, Grey).

Thanks to the chemical sanding thread on this site I have found a technique that I am happy with to remove the discolouration and restore the original colour. First tried out on one of my S63's, for this phone I adapted as follows:

Step 1: CLEAN the phone thoroughly (this one looked clean to begin with but it wasnt clean enough)
Step 2: Briskly rub small areas at a time with Acetone. Moving to a clean (lint free) cloth area regulalrly
Step 3: Briskly rub as above with Acetone/Meths mixture (75% / 25%)
Step 4: T-Cut in the same way - small areas, clean cloth
Step 5: Polish well with Polishing Paste #5

I did this by hand as I forgot I bought myself a polishing tool, ah well, next time...  ;)
No longer will the kids look at the phones and ask why have I got a yellow one when I don't collect yellow.  :D

Photos below, before, during:
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

FABphones

And here are before and after pics side by side after final polish:

kleenax

Quote from: FabPhones on May 30, 2018, 09:39:40 AM
And here are before and after pics side by side after final polish:

Great job!  Did you also clean the (original) handset cord, or replace it with new?
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

FABphones

Thanks, yes I forgot to mention the handset cord. I kept the original as it is in good condition. It just got a good rub over with anti-bac wipes, and twisted back into shape where it had previously been looped back on itself.

Mr F (ex-BT) says next time I need to add more elbow grease to my T-Cut.  Charming!   ;D ;)

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

Nice job there, looks like new... :)

Quote from: FabPhones on May 30, 2018, 09:57:06 AMMr F (ex-BT) says next time I need to add more elbow grease to my T-Cut.  Charming!   ;D ;)

You just need to tell him to lead by example, see how many phones you can get him to polish up before he realises he's being used as slave labour...  ;D

Hotline

That looks like a great restoration job, well done!

andy1702

Looks like the acetone treatment worked quite well. There's definitely a knack to the buffing and you seem to have got it. Did you use just acetone or did you cut it with anything? I use acetoen neat at first, but that leaves a rough surface. So i then go over it again with an acetone and methylated spirit mix, which is a bit more gentle and brings back the smooth surface. It can leave a bit of a bloom though, but the T-cut soon shifts that.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.